CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2007-06 > 1182715353

From: "Julia Mosman" <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] OPCs and Search Facilities, & other svcs
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:02:33 -0500

>Subject: Re: [CORNISH-GEN] OPC search facility
>
>On 23 Jun 2007, at 23:25, BARBARA RULE wrote:
>
> > For those of us that are new to this site, can you please explain
> > what OPC stands for and what it is all about?
> > Sound like you are doing valuable volunteer research work, but
> > how does it relate to those of us who really could use some help?
> > Thank you,
> > Barbara

OPCs are "Online Parish Clerks", a group of volunteers who do their best to
help people research various parishes. Some of us have websites, others
choose to respond to direct email requests, and everyone tries their best to
help solve whatever dilemmas that arise.

If you visit our website at
http://cornwall-opc.org

you can search by parish to find if there's an OPC, and if so, to have links
to them. We also have a free DataBase with over half a million BMD entries
that's continually growing. We're building a record of certificates too, as
we realize not all our ancestors regarded parish boundaries when conducting
their life events!

How all this relates to those who could use some help is simply this - if
you have a brick wall, or question, there's someone available who has
records they're willing to check, who know various places to search for
Cornish records, and who are willing to help. While we can't always do so,
we do try our best - and as most of us have experience, we may be able to
break down a brick wall or two.

But OPCs aren't the only resource: there's a very, very helpful free Lookup
service, also manned by volunteers, which is associated with the Lists,
which operates by request. Another resource - List members, who are quite
generous in their knowledge; when I asked about my Thomas family on the
list, I received 8 different replies, despite the commonness of the name,
and resulting confusions in establishing lines. (They appreciate a clear,
specific request, as do we all. Fuzziness can lead to total confusion.)

You can also search the List archives - using a variety of search terms -
which often leads to interesting discoveries.

Hope this helps, and you enjoy being on the Lists.

Julia Mosman, OPC for St. Austell, Charlestown, and Treverbyn
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~staustell

researching John and Eleanor Eva Thomas, from Camborne (married 1815) and
their children
William & Charles Symons from Ruan Lanihorne
Staple from St. Austell
Hockin from Bodmin

This thread: