CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2007-07 > 1183806611

From: Sharon Spry <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] John Spry and Grace Jewell
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 04:10:11 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for the quick reply!! This family has been a
tough nut! I found the Richard Spry and Ann Job and
thought that could account for the "J" found as a
middle name. On the marriage certificate for John
Spry and Grace Jewell, John Spry, Richard Spry and
William Spry are listed as laborers. Both John and
William "signed" the certificate with an "x". John is
24 when he married Grace. I wondered when I saw the
Richard Spry if one could be a carpenter and not know
how to write.

In Canada, Ontario, is where there is confusion.
There is a John Spry, Sr. married to a Tomasina and
for a while I thought I had the right family...at long
last. There is a George Henry Spry, almost the nearly
the same age as my grandfather, George Henry
Spry...however, there are TWO of them and I do not
think there is a connection. To further confuse me,
Henry Jewell Spry on his marriage certificate record
lists his father and mother as, "John and Mary Spry"
and I spent months and months trying to track that
down to no avail. I straightened that one out when I
found the marriage of Harry or Henry's brother,
Charles. Charles married in Rochester, New York (
5/21/1885) and on his marriage certificate, parents
are John Spry and Grace Jewell. Not only did George,
Henry or Harry's son cross into the US and go to his
uncle and aunt's address in Rochester but my father
remembered Uncle Charlie and Aunt Rachel. Rachel was a
Thompson and was also from Ontario. They remained in
Rochester, New York. Henry (Harry as he went by) also
had a brother William

and when he married a 2nd time, a widower, he listed
his parents as John Spry and Grace Jewell.

I decided the ONLY way to begin to unravel things was
to locate the marriage of John and Grace which I found
through the free bmd site and ordered it. And...it
was quite simple to follow the Jewell, Jewill track
backward...found them through the Cornwall Census
online!! As seems to be typical of the Sprys...it is
not so easy!

I also found a "familytree" at Rootsweb and there is
my line of Sprys and I have not figured out who posted
it but that person has John Spry dying before 1869 in
Borelia Village .I have not located a burial location
or death exact date. In a Directory for 1869/1870, a
Mrs. J. Spry is listed as a washer. In the 1871
Census, Reach Township:

Grace Spry, 32 b. England, Weslyan Methodist, widow.
Henry J. Spry, 13 b. England
William Spry, 11 b. England
Charles Spry, 9 b. Ontario
John Spry, 8 , b. Ontario
Jewell, Mary 76, widow b. England.

Sorry to go on at such length. Thank you for those
Richards...I have also wondered that if these vanish
from Cornwall might they have emigrated to Canada as
well?

My father is happy about the new
"discoveries"...turned 80 this year and he never knew
much about the Sprys as he moved to Rochester, NY when
he was only 3.

Sharon