CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2007-07 > 1185755733

From: "Fran Anderson" <>
Subject: [CORNISH] Polpea and Polpey
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:35:33 -0700

I've just started reading Daphne du Maurier's book "The House on the
Strand". A cousin's cousin recommended this book because it takes place
where our ancestor's lived, at Tywardreath. In the front of the book is a
map of the area, and one spot on the map is "Polpey". I'm wondering if this
is the same place as Polpea. In the late 1700s my 3rd great grandfather
lived and farmed at Polpea tenement. In his son's 1834 biography, Polpea is
discribed thus (with a very slight rephrasing):

Polpea was at this time a spot of remarkable beauty. Its acres though few,
were fertile; and the humble dwelling was half hidden by a productive
orchard. It was situated in a sheltered recess, at the north-eastern
extremity of a spacious bay (St. Austell Bay). Commanding a view of
the little fishing village of Parr, since fallen into decay, but again
rising into importance as a harbour, few spots in Cornwall exceeded it,
for picturesque scenery and quiet loveliness.

Fran

Fran Anderson
Olympia, Washington, USA

This thread: