CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2008-08 > 1218319010

From: Corinne Thompson <>
Subject: [CORNISH] weekly news, 26 June 1846 News
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 07:56:52 +1000

Hello George,

But the writer had to spoil it by saying:

"There were many respectable families from Penzance, and the
neighbourhood round, who were invited, and for whose
reception a large booth was erected "

Was not everyone "respectable"?

Obviously class distinctions were alive and well in Cornwall in 1846!

Kindest Regards ...... Corinne in Melbourne, Australia.

On 09/08/2008, at 8:16 PM, George Pritchard wrote:

> Buryan:
>
> "very soon, the votaries of Terpsichore were on the move, and
> tripping fantastically on "Nature's emerald carpet.""
>
> What a wonderful descriptive report. I particularly like the use of
> the name of the Greek Goddess of music and dance.
>
> GeorgeP

This thread: