CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2008-09 > 1222624973

From: "cpolglase" <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] How Far? (Addendum)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:02:53 -0400

Mary Jo: I have done much more walking in the far west of Cornwall,
especially around Penzance/Newlyn amd Falmouth than anywhere else. Someday I
hope to fill in the parts of the cliff walk I haven't completed. The one odd
thing about Cornwall is that one ALWAYS seem to be walking UPHILL with the
exception of the cliff walk and the aforementioned walk along the shore from
Penzance. When one leaves a hotel and walks uphill, it is logical that the
way home will be downhill, right? But I have found it to be UPHILL again.
How is this done? With mirrors? Oh, yes, the road from Paul Church to
Mousehole IS actually downhill. Not quite ropes and pitons, but fairly
steep.

Those rickety buses that tie up behind the Penzance train station are more
reliable than they look/sound. I think it is exactly the same bus to
Mousehole that I took in 1951 on my first visit to Cornwall. It makes
turning corners into an art form. Carol in Maryland where hills go up AND
down.