CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2008-11 > 1227095211

From: Michael J McCormick <>
Subject: [CORNISH] Cornish Online Projects
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:46:51 +0000

Hello folks

As you no doubt know, there are three main tools for Cornish family
history research; census returns, parish registers and the GRO
indexes. Luckily for Cornish researchers, there is a great deal of
information online, free-to-view.

The 19th century Cornish returns are ALL transcribed (2.5 million of
them) and are online at (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kayhin/ukocp.html
). This project is now complete.

The GRO indexes are being transcribed by the national project -
FreeBMD (http://www.freebmd.org.uk/). I have no idea how many Cornish
entries have been done, but they have over 150 million records online.

The parish registers are being transcribed by C-PROP (http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/
), a purely Cornish project. C-PROP now has over 915,000 records
online, well on the way to achieving our first target of 1,000,000
records online.

Cornish researchers are also lucky in that there is a flourishing
project to transcribe the pages of Cornwall's primary newspaper, the
West Briton (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wbritonad/
). This includes long lists of hatches, matches and dispatches, which
are also uploaded to C-PROP.

Our aim is that the newcomer to Cornish FH research will be able to
construct a serviceable family tree back to at least 1840 by using
material online and FREE.

If you feel like helping, just drop me a line. If you feel you might
not be very good at transcribing grotty parish registers, be reassured
that on disc (supplied by the LDS), they are usually easy to read. In
any case, you can start by data entering Phillimore's marriage indexes
or the HMD from the West Briton project.

We believe that this data, when transcribed, belongs to no one and to
everyone. For FREE! As the commercial vultures circle, why not join
us?

Rgds

Michael

Free Census organiser for Cornwall & Nth Wilts

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~kayhin/ukocp.html
http://www.pope-genealogy.me.uk/nwocp.htm
http://medeschole.blogspot.com/

This thread: