CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2009-03 > 1236992645

From: <>
Subject: [CORNISH] weekly news, 7 January 1848 NEWS
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:04:05 -0500

And we're off into another year - 1848. Hope this year proves a good, productive one for all! (Lots of relies, not in the Inquests or Court sessions.)


7 JAN 1848


EARL OF FALMOUTH - The Earl of Falmouth arrived at his seat on Wednesday last, and, according to a good old English custom, a bullock was killed, which was distributed by his lordship, on twelfth day, amongst the labouring classes of the parishes of St. Michael Penkivel, Merther, and Lamorran.

THE VOICE OF BENEVOLENCE - On Wednesday last, tea &c was provided at the Sailors' Room, Falmouth, by some unknown friend to the aged poor of that town. The entertainment was conducted by a committee of young ladies, each of whom took a table, and about one hundred and fifty elders were regaled with the abundance set forth. The sight was most imposing, and the smiling poor welcomed the new year of 1848. After the cloth was removed, the REV. T. WILDBORE (Independent minister) addressed the company in a most suitable and impressive manner, whilst all present appeared deeply affected.

ST. COLUMB UNION HOUSE - The inmates of this house were on Christmas day plentifully supplied with an excellent dinner of roast beef, beer, and plum pudding; and on New Year's day were again regaled with cake and tea. All seemed much pleased and the poor are very grateful to those kind friends who contributed so liberally to their entertainment. Much praise is also due to Mr. and Mrs. BAYLY for the good order and management observed in serving out the dinner and tea.

ST. AUSTELL UNION - The inmates of the Union House were regaled on Christmas day with old English fare, the gift of the Guardians, and again on New Year's day the gift of J. H. TREMAYNE, Esq.

SEASONABLE BENEVOLENCE - On Christmas eve two large oxen were slaughtered by order of SIR R. R. VYVYAN, Bart., of Trelowarren, and distributed to the poor of Mawgan and St. Martin parishes, and also GBP 5 in money, a portion of which was sent to the Helston union-house, and distributed among those who were natives of the above parishes; in addition to which a great number of blankets and other clothing have been distributed among the necessitous poor, in several adjoining parishes.

BOROUGH QUARTER SESSIONS - Falmouth - The sessions were fixed for Monday, but the proceedings were merely formal - no one having come on for trial.

Helston - These sessions were held before Thomas Paynter, Esq., deputy recorder, and the borough magistrates on Tuesday last, when there was only one case for trial. A man called MICHELL stood indicted for having stolen a bolster from the Star Inn, Helston; the bill was ignored by the grand jury. The learned recorder highly complimented the borough magistrates and police on the peace and good order of the town and the court was then dismissed.

Penzance - These sessions will be held to-day. One case only is to come on for trial.

HELSTON - The magistrates here have fined the following parties in sums varying from 20s. to 40s. with costs, for an assault on the police officers while in the discharge of their duties: SIMON JORY, JOHN HEMING STEPHENS, JAMES TREMER. EDWARD STEPHENS, jun., and JOSEPH KLAGWELL.

ROBBERIES - During the past fortnight a gang of midnight prowlers have been committing various depredations on the boats and unprotected shipping in Falmouth harbour. They have carried away every thing in the shape of old junk, such as painters, sheets, and tarpaulins. From a trawler belonging to Mr. J. CHARD, they abstracted a quantity of copper, having first broken open all the locked drawers; and from the pilot-cutter of MR. ELIAS CHARD, they stole a watch, and a lot of leads of fishing-lines. As a caution to marine store dealers, we remind them that by law they are compelled to keep a book, and make an entry of every purchase they make, and are liable to a heavy fine for neglecting to do so.

The schooner "Martha Jane," belonging to St. Ives, EDWARD TOMS, master, on her passage from Oalata, for Falmouth, was totally lost on the 4th of December last, near Medea, fifty-one miles from Constantinople, master and crew drowned. Capt. Toms was very much respected by all who knew him. [names of cities may be in error]

CHILD DROPPING - The body of a full grown female child was found on Tuesday last, in a pit near the rope walk, St. Agnes. The discovery was made by some children who were at play near, and on looking into the pit saw the body; they then called to a young man named TRESISE telling him that there was a "baby in the pit" which he soon found to be the case. He procured a ladder by which he descended and brought up the body and delivered it to the care of MR. PEARCE, overseer of the parish, since which a coroner's inquest has been held. The unnatural mother has not yet been discovered.

CORONER'S INQUESTS - On Saturday last, an inquest was held before GILBERT HAMLEY, Esq., deputy coroner, in the parish of St. Austell, on the body of WILLIAM HORE, a child about seven weeks old, who was taken to bed the previous night in his usual good health, and the next morning early was found dead by his mother's side. The neighbours gave the mother an excellent character for kind and attentive treatment to her children; and the jury were perfectly satisfied that the child died from natural causes and returned a verdict accordingly.

On Monday Mr. Hamley held another inquest at Port Isaac, on the body of HENRY HEARN. It appeared that on the morning of the preceding day he was seen by one of his nephews walking up the street, when he fell down, and received two blows on his head. He returned to his house, where he lived alone; and about three o'clock in the afternoon was taken violently sick; his nephew, who came to him soon afterwards, assisted him into bed. About five o'clock, deceased expressed a wish that he should be locked in his bed-room. This request his nephew complied with, and took away the key with him. About nine o'clock, some neighbours hearing a groan, and fearing something was the matter, sent for the nephew, who unlocked the door, and called to his uncle but could get no answer. Afraid to go up stairs alone, he went for his brother, and these two, accompanied by a man called HARVEY, went up and found the uncle dead. In consequence of two marks of blows on the head, the jury wished !
for a post mortem examination. This was made by MR. TREVAN, surgeon, who gave it as his opinion that the deceased died of apoplexy, accelerated, probably, by the blows on the head. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with Mr. Trevan's testimony.

The following inquests have been held before JOHN CARLYON, Esq., since our last report: At Newlyn, on Monday, on the body of MATTHEW STAPLE, aged 43 years, who died from injuries he received by falling from a horse on Christmas day. It appeared that the deceased, contrary to the solicitations of his friends, had left Newlyn for Michell, on horseback, a distance of three miles, and whilst on the road fell from his horse. Some persons who were with him at the time, took him up and placed him in a barn for the night, where every care was taken of him, and the next morning he walked to his home. But notwithstanding medical assistance was given to him, he died on Sunday last, Some reflection had been made on the parties who were with him, for not having sent immediately for a medical man, or given notice to his master. But it appeared from the evidence, that the deceased particularly wished at the time that neither should be done. Verdict, accidental death.

Same day, at Ladock, on the body of WILLIAM SAWLE, aged nearly 3 years, whose clothes caught fire, on Friday, during the temporary absence of his aunt, and died from the injuries he received on the following day. Verdict, accidental death.

Also, on Monday, at Redruth, on the body of an infant child, who was found dead by the side of its mother, and the female who slept with her. Verdict, found dead.

And on Wednesday, at St. Agnes, on the body of a newly born infant child, noticed in another paragraph. From the evidence of MR. DOBLE, surgeon, there was no doubt that the child had been born alive, and its death was caused by violence, most probably strangulation. In the absence of all clue as to the mother, the jury found a verdict of "Wilful murder against some party or parties to the jury unknown."

Julia Mosman, OPC for St.Austell,Charlestown, and Treverbyn
Website at
W. Briton newspaper transcripts at
Please visit the OPC website at

This thread: