CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2009-12 > 1260522406

From: "Marc Young" <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] Tamar Bridge?
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:06:46 -0000
References: <BLU111-W22B326BD603D82F4A9949FBD8D0@phx.gbl><367911.99068.qm@web82305.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
In-Reply-To: <367911.99068.qm@web82305.mail.mud.yahoo.com>

I've drunk Spingo at the Blue Anchor, Helston and Beer at the Five
Pilchards in Porthallow (where I have a family line), plus 'Proper Job' at
the bucket of Blood in Hayle. Just some of the great beers now in Cornwall.
Oh dear. I have discovered family along the way though....

Marc Young

From: [mailto:] On
Behalf Of Catherine Quayle
Sent: 10 December 2009 19:55
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] Tamar Bridge?

Albert -

I have had the pleasure of tasting the Spingo in Helston, and not a measely
'arf-pint, lady or no.  The Heligan Honey Ale at the Five Pilchards in
Porthallow is particularly fine (as is their monk fish in garlic cream
sauce) and the Scrumpy Jack at Cadgwich Cove is a memory I shall always
cherish.  Cornish laborers used to take a part of their wages in Scrumpy.

Kitty

--- On Thu, 12/10/09, Albert Jenkin <> wrote:

From: Albert Jenkin <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] Tamar Bridge?
Date: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 6:23 AM

Kitty, I'm not certain 'bout the origin of the name "Spingo" for the Blue
Anchor's own product, brewed in a back room for consumption right there at
this classic tinners' and smugglers' watering place.  All I know is that is
is Real Beer and not the watered-down horse-**** that's served up most parts
of the US.  I have a story about Fishers Beer from Utah, not suitable for
mixed company, that tells the awful truth about American brew.

You'll just have to drop in there and try the real thing.  'arf-pint for
ladies and the elderly, two or more pints for Real Cornish Men.  I confess I
don't enjoy the fruit of the barley as I used to.  Just sip and savor now.

Albert

> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:40:30 -0800
> From:
> Subject: Re: [CORNISH] Tamar Bridge?
> Sounds like good rules to live by, whether at the Blue Anchor or not!  Is
it called Spingo for what more than two pints can do to one's equilibrium?

> Suddenly thirsty Kitty in California
> From: Albert Jenkin <>
> Subject: Re: [CORNISH] Tamar Bridge?
> Date: Wednesday, December 9, 2009, 4:27 AM
> And hoist a pint or two of Spingo while we're at it.  Do they still have
the rules about only two pints for new chums, sit down while drinking, and
don't make any sudden moves?
> Albert
> > Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 13:27:14 -0800
> > From:
> > To:
> > Subject: Re: [CORNISH] Tamar Bridge?
> > Ah, Albert, the Blue Anchor!  A fine establishment and we could play
skittles too!
> > California Kitty
> > From: Albert Jenkin <>
> > Subject: Re: [CORNISH] Tamar Bridge?
> > To:
> > Date: Tuesday, December 8, 2009, 6:46 AM
> > <snip>>
> > Alternative site is the Blue Anchor pub in Helston.  If we go there,
I'll sing the "West Cornwall Railway" song.  I found the words on a
broadside in the Folk Museum in the old Buttery in Helston.
> > Albert Jenkin hag Howlek an gath
-------------------------------
Subscribe to digest by sending an email to
with the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject line and body text.  If you want,
MIME digests, email .

Unsubscribe from either by sending an email to .
-------------------------------
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
in the subject and the body of the message
-------------------------------
Subscribe to digest by sending an email to
with the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject line and body text. If you want,
MIME digests, email .

Unsubscribe from either by sending an email to .
-------------------------------