CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2010-03 > 1267951662

From: "Peter Appleton" <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] TB in Cornwall
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 08:47:42 -0000

Re the following from Brian Millett in CORNISH Digest, Vol 5, Issue 106:
"According to his Death Certificate, my Great Grandfather, John Millett died
at Heathcote, Victoria of phthisis. On further investigation, that proved to
be TB or consumption and, as he was only ill for a short time, perhaps
'galloping consumption'!"

I have been researching the men commemorated on the War Memorial that stands
on the village green in Skelton-in-Cleveland, Yorkshire, where I live. One
of those individuals from World War 1 was discharged from the Army as
medically unfit due to Fibroid phthitis. His record shows that he was
initially diagnosed as having TB. I asked my local doctor what fibroid
phthitis was, and was told it was an infection of the lungs brought about by
prolonged exposure to harsh conditions (cold, damp). I was also told that
its external symptoms were the same as TB and the two could be separated
only by lab tests. Unlike TB it was not highly contagious. Nonetheless, it
would seem that the Army medical staff of the day took no chances and
presumed TB until proven otherwise.

kindest regards,

Peter Appleton

This thread: