CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2010-05 > 1273589355

From: "Florian Barker" <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] GRIEVE FAMILY
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:49:15 +0100

Henry GRIEVE, landlord of the Woodman's Arms was the son of my 2xgreat
grandfather's brother.

Frederick William GRIEVE, his nephew was born in 1860 in Gibraltar and was
the son of Henry's brother, Joseph. Joseph started off working as a miller's
loader in Probus but on 6 Jul 1846 he enlisted in the Royal Artillery in
Devonport. Joseph served for 21 years and 25 days in the Royal Artillery, of
which he served 14 years and 288 days in Gibraltar. His conduct was
exemplary and he had been awarded four good conduct badges. However his name
appears in the defaulters book six times but he was never court martialled.
He was discharged in 1871 and went to live in London. His three children,
John Henry b.1857, Frederick William b. 1860 and Elizabeth Ellen b. 1868
were all born in Gibraltar. I suppose they don't really count as Cornish in
Spain!
I hope this is of interest.
Florian