CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2010-05 > 1274132273

From: "hlmw" <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] WB News
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 15:37:53 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carol P Noonan" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 11:12 AM

> Pat: I am still trying to figure out what "pitched to his head" means.
> Does it refer to being a little bit crazy? In NY we used to call that
> "tetched in the head." Maybe a corruption of the Cornish expression. All
> could think of was baseball, but that's a bit far-fetched. Carol

I think it means "Tossed onto his head" - pitched means thrown - he was
pitched so hard that he landed on his head. It is like "tossing the caber"
which Scots seem to enjoy doing. They grab a huge tree trunk with no leaves
or branches on it by one end, run or stagger with it and then throw it (not
very far).
How's that for a good guess?
And thank you Cynthia with help re the Janes and Jennifers etc.That helps.
Lorna May.>