CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2010-05 > 1274253901

From: RAY WORDEN <>
Subject: [CORNISH] Pitched to his head.
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:25:01 +0000 (GMT)

Cornish expression meaning he fell on his head. Could equally say "He pitched to his knees/back."

Ray in Delabole

________________________________

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 17:49:28 +1000
From: Andrew Rodger <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] WB News

Carol wrote:

> Pat: I am still trying to figure out what "pitched to his head"
> means.
> Does it refer to being a little bit crazy? In NY we used to call that
> "tetched in the head." Maybe a corruption of the Cornish
> expression. All
> I could think of was baseball, but that's a bit far-fetched. Carol

Not a corruption of the Cornish expression, but an American
pronunciation of "touched in the head". When I was at school kids
sometimes still said a person regarded as a little bit crazy was
"touched". My guess is this is a pretty old concept, deriving from
old notions of magic or witchcraft, a spell touching you and throwing
you off-kilter, and not unrelated to the Biblical references to
possession by evil spirits.

This thread: