CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2010-07 > 1278467419

From: Andrew Rodger <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] West Briton, weekly newspaper, 5 September 1851,Local Intelligence
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:50:19 +1000

On 6 Jul 2010, at 6:54 PM, <> <> wrote
(snip):

> WEST BRITON AND CORNWALL ADVERTISER

> LOCAL INTELLIGENCE
>
> THE LATE MR. TREMAYNE - On Saturday last, all the shops in St.
> Austell were closed throughout the
> day in respect for the late MR. TREMAYNE, of Heligan. The bells of
> the church were muffled and tolled
> as the hearse passed through the town.

This caught my eye, and prompts me to urge all on this List who have
not yet made the pilgrimage to Cornwall to put on their schedules for
that trip, when they make it, a visit to Heligan. The story of the
Lost Garden of Heligan is too long to insert in this message but can
be found by our faithful friend, Google, along with direction on how
to get there. A day spent there is well worth the price of
admission, which was about GBP12 when we were there.

This thread: