CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2011-02 > 1297992192

From: Sher Leetooze <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] Cornish emigrants to the US and Canada using CanadianPorts
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:23:12 -0500

Hello List:
Just to add a little bit to Julie's helpful comments..... Many people also
went right up the St. Lawrence River to Montreal, where they took a smaller
ship to places like Trois Riviere where they would be transported by land
over the rapids that once made ship travel in that area impossible. From
there they went by lake steamer up the Great Lakes as far as Niagara where
they transferred to horse and tram that took them over the falls, then
they boarded another steamer that took them to Detroit, and on to Cleveland
and Chicago and out to Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where
mines were opening. This sounds like a round about way to go, but it proved
to be a cheaper route than into New York and other seaboard ports in the USA.
Sher
Ontario, Canada