CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2011-04 > 1302664153

From: "Pat Banks" <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] personal websites
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:10:22 +0800
References: <BANLkTi=sLQ13uXuNXvAPcEuss2iDvFm3yA@mail.gmail.com><5.2.0.9.0.20110411220210.00c32c88@mail.look.ca><BANLkTin9BZMv+FYkrUH23ZwdOp9r1u3xZQ@mail.gmail.com><bay155-w63144ABF99F21E1C06F553BDAB0@phx.gbl><BANLkTimwxfL1kJfhQ8E5TvqReUcF02aQDA@mail.gmail.com><561EC564D0C944798A1AE381FA10A27A@HPStudy><BANLkTi=Tnx=_+Ao1y=mj956d5V13gJgfXg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <BANLkTi=Tnx=_+Ao1y=mj956d5V13gJgfXg@mail.gmail.com>

Hi Lainie

Actually all the dates are correct - this is what makes the whole thing so
alarming that there is someone out there, who I've never heard of let alone
had contact with, has all this information about my family. But I guess
that is what happens when things go on Public Record!

I would like to know who she is tho'!!!!!

Cheers

Pat

From: [mailto:] On
Behalf Of lainie
Sent: Wednesday, 13 April 2011 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] personal websites

>>I In one listing by a person quite unknown to me, and obviously still
alive, I
found all my father's family listed under surnames although the names in the
'tree' are completely unknown to me. They even had the date of my parents'
marriage, my sister's name and my marriage to my husband!!!!!<<

Very odd!

>>The set-up looks strange to me but may be familiar to more experienced
researchers, will certainly make time to follow it up and discover the
source. The names I can understand as they are on public record, but the
actual dates are a concern.<<

Yes. Is it possible someone you know put it up but was careless with the
dates. When I checked my husband's family name today that's what I
discovered.

A friend went to a computer class a few years ago. The teacher told the
class to google their names. She learned that she was 104 years old. Imagine
her surprise since she's not even 50. They had her correct address and other
information spot on, but her age? ROFL!

Lainie

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Pat Banks <> wrote:

> Hi Lainie
> I also followed up the suggestion of putting a name in Google to see what
> showed up!!!! I put in my full maiden name of Patricia Rosina Magill. My
> old school alumni was no surprise, nor was my reply to a Lister about the
> Christian name Rosina in Cornwall, but the rest was a total shock!!! In
> one listing by a person quite unknown to me, and obviously still alive, I
> found all my father's family listed under surnames although the names in
> the
> 'tree' are completely unknown to me. They even had the date of my
parents'
> marriage, my sister's name and my marriage to my husband!!!!!
> The set-up looks strange to me but may be familiar to more experienced
> researchers, will certainly make time to follow it up and discover the
> source. The names I can understand as they are on public record, but the
> actual dates are a concern.
> Cheers
> Pat
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [mailto:]
> On
> Behalf Of lainie
> Sent: Wednesday, 13 April 2011 8:36 AM
> Subject: Re: [CORNISH] personal websites
> Thanks for the warning. You're so right.
> I always look for a source document. Of course, even national archives
> from
> England or the U.S. may have errors. Many reasons why, but they do exist.
I
> guess that's why it's good to search for more than one source.
> I've never used another's tree before. However, today one of our list
> emails
> suggested googling someone in our family tree to see what would show up.
> Well, I did. And a found my husband's family tree. It was submitted to
the
> web by my husband's nephew. He'd paid a genealogist to put it together.
> Now,
> I have a copy of the original done by the researcher. What was copied to
> the
> web has errors. Not huge one. Mostly misspelling of names but this was
done
> by the person who paid the researcher. So it is easy to see how mistakes
> can
> come about.
> I'm glad I didin't use that tree to add my husband's to mine. Instead , I
> researched myself.
> Lainie
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Albert Jenkin
> <>wrote:
> > Be careful following hints on Family Tree/Ancestry. Some of the Public
> > Family Trees they take from are careless about dates. You'll have a
> 16th
> > Century "possible" showing as the child of an 18th Century "possible".
> > Also, somewhere in the mix of trees, there is a "researcher" who thinks
> > Constantine, Cornwall, is in Algeria. They'll also show a "possible"
as
> > being born in a state that did not exist at the birth date shown, or
some
> > other geographical improbability. When in doubt, trust you own good
> sense.
Tree
> > > Maker for Mac last week. Been busily making my family tree on Family
> Tree
> > > Maker, which is connected to Ancestry. Did correct a couple of
mistakes
> > that
> > > I found there. Wrong birth or death dates.
> > >
> > > I've just sent an email to their support group asking them if my tree
> is
> > > private? I don't remember asking for it to be public, but I can't seem
> to
> > > find on my page for the tree any mention of privacy, other than
> Ancestry
> > > notes suggesting I invite relatives to look at it.
> > >
> > > Gee, now I wonder if Reunion would have been a safer selection. Just
> > don't
> > > know.
> > >
> > > Lainie
> > -------------------------------
> > Subscribe to digest by sending an email to
> the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject line
> and body text. If you want,
> > MIME digests, email .
> > Unsubscribe from either by sending an email to
> > .
> > -------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> > with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> > quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> Subscribe to digest by sending an email to
> with the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject line and body text. If you want,
> MIME digests, email .
> Unsubscribe from either by sending an email to
> .
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message
> Subscribe to digest by sending an email to
the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject line
and body text. If you want,
> MIME digests, email .
> Unsubscribe from either by sending an email to
> .
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
-------------------------------
Subscribe to digest by sending an email to
with the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject line and body text. If you want,
MIME digests, email .

Unsubscribe from either by sending an email to .
-------------------------------
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
in the subject and the body of the message