CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2011-04 > 1302722509

Subject: [CORNISH] Weekly Newspaper. 18th August, 1854. NEWS.
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:21:49 -0400

West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser. Friday, 18th August, 1854.

NOTICE - I, JONATHAN FRY, Give Notice, that after the date hereof, I
will not answer for any Debt my wife JANE FRY may contract. Witness -
William HUGO. Dated St. Issey, Cornwall, August 8th, 1854.

NOTICE - I, RICHARD MOLLARD, of Ashton in Breage, hereby give notice
that I will not be answerable for any Debts my wife, NANNY MOLLARD,
after this date, August 12th, 1854. The mark + of Richard Mollard.
Witness - James JACKA.

WILLIAMS and SON v. KERNICK - Calstock United Mines. A creditor's
petition for recovery of debt amounting to GBP411. 14s. 8 1/2 d. and
costs. Mr. ROBERTS, on the part of plaintiffs, moved for a decree for
payment. Mr. STOKES, for defendant, consented to a decree, and in case
of non-payment on the first day of the next sittings, then to have an
order for sale. Decree granted.

The Vice-Warden, on Tuesday, having just finished hearing the case of
CROOK v. SCOTT, was taken suddenly ill between eleven and twelve
o'clock, and obliged to leave the court. Mr. ANDREW, surgeon,
happening to be in the court at the time, attended to the Vice-Warden
in the robing room, and subsequently Dr. BARHAM was sent for, and
remedies applied. The court was at first adjourned till one o'clock,
but the Vice-Warden being unable to attend to his duties, a further
adjournment took place until the following Thursday at ten o'clock.
All the jurymen in attendance, resident out of Truro, were discharged.
On Thursday, the Vice-Warden having recovered from his indisposition,
the Court was again opened, and the trials of small debt cases were
proceeded with.

A motion was also made by Mr. Roberts in the case of WILLIAMS and
OTHERS v. KERNICK, (Calstock United Mines). Mr. Stokes for defendant,
had previously consented to a decree for payment, in default of which
by the first day of the next sittings, an order for sale was to follow.
In addition, Mr. Roberts now applied for an injunction to restrain the
sale of the machinery and materials in the interim; to which Mr. Stokes
consented, and the injunction was granted.

STATIONS OF WESLEYAN MINISTERS - The following are the ministers
appointed to circuits in Cornwall for the ensuing year:- Kilkhampton,
James EMORY, William HAMAR; W. HARVIE, supernumerary. Launceston,
Thomas HARDY, W. L. BINKS. Liskeard, Benjamin ELVINS, James
HARGREAVES. Callington, G. HAGEN, Jas. FISHER. Camelford, W. S.
BESTALL, T. BATTEN; J. ROBINSON, supernumerary. Bodmin, H. B.
TRETHEWEY, James MITCHELL. St. Austell, William WORKER, John MOLLARD,
Benjamin BROWNE. St. Columb, W. SANDERS, Joseph WILLIAMS. Truro, John
MORRIS, John GOSTICK; Matthew ANDREW, supernumerary. St. Agnes, Joseph
WHITEHEAD, Fred. C. HAINE. Gwennap, W. RICKETTS, Robert DYSON.
Redruth, John ALLIN, Henry YOUNG. Camborne, Jarvis CHEESMAN, G.
BLENCOWE. Hayle, W. SECCOMBE, Walter VERCOE, F. W. GREEVES. St. Ives,
J. B. ALEXANDER, R. HAWORTH; B. CARVOSSO, supernumerary. Marazion,
John HUGILL, Joshua DUFFILL. Penzance, Corbett COOKE, J. W. ETHERIDGE,
Ph.D., James D. DODGSON; Ralph SCURRAH, supernumerary. St. Just, Henry
DANIELS, G. SAVERY. Helston, John RYAN, 2nd: James NANCE, E. WATSON;
C. COWELL, supernumerary. Falmouth, Everett VIGIS, Samuel HOOLEY.
St. Mawes, W. BAKER, jun. Scilly Islands, R. MAINWARING, Corbett
COOKE, Chairman of the Cornwall District.

CALLINGTON - At a vestry meeting of the rated inhabitants of the
parish of Callington, on Thursday the 10th instant, the Rector, the
Rev. H. M. RICE, in the chair; it was proposed and seconded that the
provisions of the act, 3rd and 4th William 4th ch. 90, should be
applied to this parish for lighting the town with gas, an amendment in
opposition was moved by Mr. G. HAYE, and seconded by Mr. HICKS, of
Castlewich Farm, but on a division the original proposition was carried
by 72 to 14. It is intended to carry out the decision of the meeting
forthwith, and there is no doubt the town will be lit up by Michaelmas.

ODD FELLOWSHIP - TRURO DISTRICT - The brethren of the "Loyal Temple
of Peace" Lodge, Truro, having received the sanction of the last grand
A.M.C. of the M.U. to form a district, on Monday last the Provincial
officers from the Hayle district attended at the Lodge room at the Red
Lion Hotel, and duly installed the following officers for the present
year:- P.G. Charles THOMAS, P.G.M.; P.G. James FERRIS, P.D.G.M.; and
P.G. William DOWNTON, P.C.S.

PICTURES BY OPIE - We are informed that arrangements are being made
to exhibit a collection of the works of this eminent Cornish Painter,
at the coming Polytechnic Exhibition. Lord Falmouth has already very
kindly offered the Opie pictures in his collection, and several others,
the property of gentlemen in the neighbourhood of Truro, are expected.
The committee of the Polytechnic Society will be glad to be informed
where any good specimens by this master are to be obtained.

PANORAMA OF A VOYAGE TO AUSTRALIA - PROUT's pictorial illustrations
of a voyage to Australia, it appears from an advertisement, are about
to be exhibited in this county. This panorama has been highly spoken
of by the London and provincial press. The sketches were taken by Mr.
Prout himself in Australia, and are stated to be of great merit. The
lecture is also the means of imparting much information respecting
those important colonies.

ST. STEPHENS WRESTLING - On Wednesday the 0th inst., being the parish
feast at St. Stephens in Branwell, the annual wrestling took place,
when, after very smart play, the prizes were awarded as follows:- First
prize, William YELLAND, of High Street, St. Stephens; second prize,
GRIGG, of St. Dennis; third prize, VERCOE, of St. Stephens. Many
prize men were on the ground, and more contested play has not been seen
in St. Stephens for many years. The play throughout was excellent, and
a large number of people were present.

APPOINTMENT - Mr. A. W. SCHARIT, United States Consul at Falmouth,
has appointed Mr. John BANFIELD to be United States Consular agent at
Scilly.

CAMELFORD and BOSCASTLE - The Lord Chancellor has appointed Claudius
Crigan HAWKER, of these towns, gentleman, a Commissioner to administer
oaths in the High Court of Chancery.

CUSTOMS APPOINTMENTS - Mr. R. S. KILGOUR, late Comptroller of the
Customs at Truro, and more recently at Portsmouth, has received the
appointment of Collector at Shields. We understand that Mr. W. H.
HOLMES jun., has been appointed to the office of principal coast
officer at Hayle.

THE BALTIC FLEET - A correspondent sends us the following from a
letter received at Mevagissey a few days since from a young man in the
Baltic fleet, showing the feeling of British sailors when in present of
the enemy. The letter is dated from on board H.M. ship "St. George,"
of Revel, and is addressed to his parents. The writer says:- "having
nothing to do, I sit down to write you a letter to let you know that we
have done nothing as yet. I dare say when the French troops arrive up
here we shall commence operations against the Czar's territories. We
are now anchored off Revel, in view of that city. We only want the
word to begin, that which is longed by the fleet, that is war, and then
the people of England will hear how the roar of our guns has died away
among the hills in the interior of Russia. Admiral CORRY has resigned,
the cause of which we do not know, as we are separated from Sir Charles
Napier's fleet. We are commanded by Commodore Martin of the steam-ship
"Nile".

FATAL ACCIDENT AT SEA - The "Clara" of St. Ives, sailed from
Portreath for Swansea on the evening of Monday last, and had proceeded
as far as the rocks off St. Agnes, known by the name of the "Man and
his Man," when unfortunately the mate, a steady, active man named
Thomas MORGANS, (who was for this voyage in the captain's place) in
doing some part of his duty on the deck, leaned too far over the bows
of the ship, lost his balance and fell overboard. The crew put the
ship about and got out their boat as quickly as possible, but the poor
man had sunk before they could reach him. Deceased was an unmarried
man about forty years of age.

BODY FOUND - As a boat was proceeding seaward from Penzance on
Wednesday morning, the crew saw clothes on a rock near Mousehole, and
after searching about, found a body in twenty feet of water. It turned
out to be that of William MATTHEWS, a middle aged man of Mousehole, who
left home on the preceding afternoon. He had been ill some time, and
it was supposed was a little desponding in mind. An inquest has since
been held on the body, and a verdict of "found drowned" returned.

CORONER'S INQUEST - The following inquest has been held before Mr.
John CARLYON, county coroner:- On Thursday the 10th instant, at
Tywardreath, on the body of John ISBELL, aged 5 years. It appeared
that on Wednesday, the deceased was in a farm-yard near his parents'
house, with another little boy, about his own age, playing with a cart
which had been taken off the wheels by one of the men, and placed
against a hedge. By some means or other they pulled down the cart on
themselves. The mother of the deceased, suspecting what had happened,
ran out into the yard, and on lifting up the cart, found the two
children underneath. The deceased just made one gasp after she held
him in her arms, and then died. The other child escaped with only a
few bruises. Verdict "accidental death."

THE MORMONITES - The last advices from the desert give very
favourable accounts of the colony which has planted itself on the
shores of Lake Utah, in order to found the New Sion. Governor YOUNG
has established relations with the Indians, and has bound the Saints to
live in good understanding with the savages. The Deseret News
publishes some letters written by a Saint to her sister in New
Hampshire. "I am happy, very happy," she writes, "and I live agreeably
to the will of the Lord. My husband has six other wives, whom he loves
equally, and whom I esteem as sisters. Our children, united, are
twenty-four in number. Peace is in the house." These letters must
most likely be dictated by fanaticism, or extorted by force, for all
the sentiments which they express are unnatural.

THE CHOLERA - Several fatal cases of Asiatic cholera have occurred in
the Tower of London among the military. On Tuesday the deaths of three
other unfortunate men were reported to Mr. BEDFORD, the coroner, as
having taken place in Millbank Penitentiary from Asiatic cholera,
making on the whole about twenty deaths during the past few days within
the walls of the jail from this frightful scourge. The number of fatal
cases of cholera in London recorded last week, was six hundred and
forty four, while those of diarrhoea number one hundred and ninety
five. The progress of the present epidemic, which slightly manifested
itself in the second week in July, is shown by the following weekly
numbers: deaths from cholera, 5, 26, 133, 396, and 644; deaths from
diarrhoea and dysentery (also in the last five weeks), 51, 63, 87, 146,
and 200. Of last week's deaths from cholera, 446 occurred on the south
side of the river, a proportion to the total number of 69 per cent. We
regret to state that this malignant scourge has also visited Essex with
all its untamed virulence. On Friday week it first made itself
apparent in Epping union-house, and since that time no fewer than
sixteen inmates have died, and five of them since Friday night. In
Romford union-house too, the disease has made its appearance, six cases
having occurred there last week; and deaths have taken place at
Dagenham and Ilford.

This thread: