CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2012-01 > 1326152484

From: Joy Langdon <>
Subject: Re: [CORNISH] Mother's age at Birth
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 23:41:24 +0000 (GMT)

I suspect you have identified the marriage of James STEER aged 59, widower and Jane DALE aged 49, widow, St Just in Penwith 19 Aug 1845 as the marriage of Emily's parents.  The censuses on http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl reveal that this isn't the case.

In 1851 this couple are living at Princess Street, St Just with Elizabeth Jane DALE , daughter in law (a term which was used for stepdaughter at that time) aged 14 and a visitor, Jane CASLEY aged 14.

In 1851 Emily, aged 3, is living at Dock Lane, Madron with her mother Jane aged 41, Mariner's wife, and siblings Jane aged 20, Elizabeth aged 14, Mary Ann aged 12, James Thomas aged 9 and Louisa aged 6.

Just to confuse things, there are several baptisms which match the names, ages and birthplaces of Emily's siblings but the mother is Jennifer (i.e. Louisa STEER 28 Sep 1845 St Just in Penwith, parents James and Jennifer, occ sailor and Mary Ann STEER 06 Dec 1838 Falmouth parents James and Jenifer)).  Jane was used as a variant of Jennifer.  There is a marriage of James STEAR and Jennifer REYNOLDS 7th Jan 1830 St Just in Penwith.

Obtaining the birth certificate would confirm Emily's mother's maiden name.

Regards,

Joy