COUCH-L Archives

Archiver > COUCH > 2002-07 > 1027963983

Subject: Re: [COUCH] American Indian Couch family
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:38:31 EDT

Hello,

Regarding your messages below I have a couple of questions. Do you know if
your COUCH family is ever thought to have been spelled with an R as in
CROUCH?

I descend from a Samuel CROUCH in Richmond County, North Carolina who was
born in abt. 1780 and his 2 wives were named Sarah and Abigail through Sarah
and Samuel CROUCH's daughter, Susan CROUCH, born: abt. 1815 in Richmond
County, North Carolina, who married probably as the 2nd wife of John M.
SLAUGHTER, born: abt. 1795 in Richmond County, North Carolina, son of Mary
McDONALD and husband, (Rev.) Owen (2) SLAUGHTER, son of Owen (1) SLAUGHTER
and wife, Mary Elizabeth BOLTON, born: abt. 1741 in Nansemond Co., VA.

In addition, the name ADAIR married into the LIGHTFOOT family of Nancy
LIGHTFOOT and her sister, Dorcas LIGHTFOOT, who married DUNCAN and ADAIR men
if my memory is serving me correctly. This Cherokee LIGHTFOOT family is said
to have been descended from a (Captain) or (Chief) John LIGHTFOOT, depending
on whose information that you read,) and while many say that the family was
of 100% Cherokee lineage it appears most probable that this John LIGHTFOOT
could have been a descendant of the (Captain) John LIGHTFOOT who immigrated
from England in abt. 1670 along with his brother, Philip LIGHTFOOT, who
became known as (Colonel) Philip LIGHTFOOT, to Virginia. They were sons of
John LIGHTFOOT and wife, Elizabeth PHILLIPS, of London, England. (Captain)
John LIGHTFOOT was a member of the Royal Navy as a sea Captain and after
starting at least one family in Virginia he died somewhere in or near
Surinam(e) in the West Indies in the Caribbean.

I don't know if your COUCH and ADAIR people in any way connect with this
CROUCH and ADAIR/DUNCAN/LIGHTFOOT information but it might assist you.

Sincerely,

Bellinda Myrick - Barnett

In a message dated 7/29/2002 11:29:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

> Subj:Re: [COUCH] American Indian Couch family
> Date:7/29/2002 11:29:56 AM Central Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:"></A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:"></A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Alfred Fatica,
>
> I see from my book that you are the person who provided me with the
> information on T. Samuel Couch and Nancy Ellen Adair and their daughter
> Sarah Ellen Couch and Sara's son William Walker Milam.
>
> Thanks. For a bit I thought I had discoverd a brand new source of Couch
> information. Do you now have the children of Wlliam Walker Milam and Maude
> Irene McSpaddenr's two children?
>
> Bob Couch
> ----------
> >From: "Alfred Fatica" <>
> >Subject: [COUCH] American Indian Couch family
> >Date: Sun, Aug 5, 2001, 6:18 PM
> >

> >I know of at least one Couch family of Cherokee blood. Samuel Mitchell
> >Couch, son of John Couch and Mary "Polly" George, married a mixed blood
> >Cherokee named Nancy Ellen Adair. Nancy was the daughter of Benjamin
> >Franklin Adair and a mixed blood Cherokee named Eliza Martin, who was the
> >daughter of Judge John Martin, a famous Cherokee.
> >This branch of the Couch family as part of the early Cherokee settlers who
>
> >came west before the Trail of Tears. I have a listing of some of the
> >Rolls, indicating Indian blood. If anyone has specific names, I would be
> >happy to look them up.

This thread: