COUCH-L Archives

Archiver > COUCH > 2002-07 > 1027975692

Subject: Re: [COUCH] COUCH, GEORGE, ADAIR, MILAM, McSPADDEN
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:55:00 -0500

Nolene,
Below is an email that I sent to a Couch and Moss researcher. Thought I'd just
copy it and sent on to you in case you could connect to the Couch families listed
below. Maybe there is something that might be familiar?

Thanks,
Paula

My connection to the Couch and Moss surnames is distant; my Wilson/Willson great
grandfather married into the Nesmith family of Morgan and Lawrence Co, AL. The
Nesmith family was connected to the Woodall and Vest families thru marriage.
They, in turn, connected by marriage to the Couch and Moss families. I list them
below with what little information I have but please know that I don't have any
documentation for them. This information has been sent to me over the years by
other researchers, some whose names I still have and others that I do not.

Robert Vest, born ca 1798 in Hancock Co, GA and died Hartselle, Morgan
Co, AL; m. Mary Louisa Moss on 7-4-1844

George W. Woodall, born ca 1832 in Morgan Co, AL; m. Rebecca Moss,
probably in Morgan or Lawrence Co, AL, no date for marriage

Amanda Woodall, born 12-24-1833 in GA, died 1908 in Morgan Co, AL;
married James Ray Moss in 1853 in Morgan Co, AL

**Note: a brother to George W. Woodall and Amanda Woodall Moss was
Zephaniah Harvey Woodall who was sheriff of Tishimingo Co, MS in the
1880's.

Martha E. Nesmith, born 1837 in Decatur, Morgan Co, AL, died 1906 in AL;
m. Jonathan Couch 1-7-1861 in Morgan Co, AL. This family is shown on
page 379, Dist 8 on the 1850 Lawrence Co, AL census. The family on this
census included:

Jonathan Couch, age 53, born SC; wife Mary, age 40 and born
SC; and son Jonathan, age 12, born AL.

wrote:

> Bob: Glad to hear from a Couch researcher. I was about to think that list
> had
> closed down.
>
> The Couches in Ala are of interest to me since I am researching Jane Courch
> who
> married Rowland Blankenship in Knox County, Tn in 1815. They moved to
> Madison
> County, Al (where I llive) about 1818 and lived here until about 1828 when
> they
> moved to White County, Tn and lived there until thjey died.
> Census records show Jane born in NC with one exception and that one showed
> SC.I have wondered if perhaps she was born in SC and moved to NC very early.
> In Knox County there was a Jonathan Couch and a Joseph Couch living there at
> the time she was and Johnathan was on her marriage bond.
> If any of these facts mean anything to you, let me know. I think we have
> corresponded before so if some of this is a repeat, sorry. Better to have it
> twice
> than not at all. Nolene Blankenship
>
> If anyone else on the list has anything to contribute to this family, would
> appreciate
> hearing from you.

This thread: