COUCH-L Archives

Archiver > COUCH > 2002-07 > 1027989996

From: "Danny Couch" <>
Subject: Re: [COUCH] American Indian Couch family
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:46:36 -0400

Hi Bellinda,

There are two theories on Couch/Crouch. The first is that there is a
connection based on illiteracy and phonetics. The Crouch's in northeastern
Tennessee were descended from a William Couch/Coutch/Crouch whose living
children exhausted all spellings of his surname in a futile attempt to
collect his Revolutionary War pension in 1836. That line, for the most
part, goes by Crouch to this day. The famous music producer in Nashville,
whose last name is Crouch (his first name escapes me right now...) is from
that line Also, some Couch researchers speculate that Couch was often
pronounced Crouch, like Chicargo for Chicago and stuck.
The second theory is that there is no connection whatsoever. In regard
your Crouch's, that may be the case. Although there were many Couch's in
North Carolina in the 1700's and 1800's, there were none in Richmond County
area, which borders the South Carolina line. Richmond County was cut from
Anson County in 1779. Richmond and Anson are heavily Scotch-Irish, and the
surnames Adair and McSpadden/McFadden are numerous there. The Couch's are
almost exclusively English. Hope this helps.
P. S. is your Barnett line any connection to the Barnetts on the North
Carolina Outer Banks/ Dare, Hyde or Carteret Counties? Let me know. Danny
Couch