COY-L Archives

Archiver > COY > 1999-07 > 0933282605

From: "Paula Naujalis" <>
Subject: David Coy No. #1 Born 1759 in Connecticut
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:10:05 -0400

Here is the pension of David Coy born 1759, the one who is my ancestor. I
did have the other pension file typed up, but that was about two computer
crashes ago. I did, however, send it to a couple of people on the list -
maybe one of them has it? How about it? Guys? Help!

Paula

P.S. Some words are guess from context to the best of my ability.

*****

Conn.
David Coy
R.2413

State of New York
County of Orleans

On the seventh day of March 1853 personally appeared before me, Cyrus
Thompson, a justice of sessions of the County of Orleans, David Coy a
resident of the town of Kendall in the county and state aforesaid who says
that he was born in the year 1759 and will be ninety four years old on the
19th day of May next who first being duly sworn according to law doth on his
oath make the following declaration, in order to obtain the benefits of the
Act of Congress passed June 7th, 1832; that he believes in the year 1777 he
being then 18 years of age, and residing in the town of East Windsor in the
State of Connecticut he was drafted with others from a Regiment of Milita to
go and serve as a soldier in Rhode Island; that a company of drafted men
being made out ordered and equipped at home to serve as he believes for
three months; were first under the command of Captain Ezra Parsons and
marched directly for Providence arriving there on the first day of April,
which he recollects from the following circumstance: a boy came up to the
Captain and said, gentleman, you have lost your knee buckle, the Captain
looking said, "no, I have not" on the other knee said the boy "no that is
not lost" said the Captain, the boy running off said "April Fool". They
marched thence to Bristol where they were stationed in a fort near the
water, Newport lying to the south of them, the British then having
possession of Rhode Island with an army and on the Island nearly opposite of
them had a fort in fair cannons shot, a circumstance occurred which he well
recollects. The artillery men in the fort called to the men standing
without to come in, saying the British are about to fire on us; they all
went in except two men; one of them said, the king never had a ball to hit
me. The shot was fired from the British fort and striking the guardhouse
glanced and took off both legs of one of the men close to his body. That he
served in the fort at Bristol as a private soldier, a tour which he is very
positive was at least two months; when he and his company being honorably
discharged returned under the command of Captain Ezra Parsons first to
Providence and then to their houses in East Windsor and the adjoining towns.
Captain Parsons had a brother who was a captain in the Continental service
by the name of David Parsons who came to Bristol when the time of the
Militia had expired to enlist men for the Continental Army. That the
General commending at the time of his serving in that station he thinks was
Spencer, who was at Providence and he thinks he was not a brave man as they
used to call him Granny Spencer. That he has no dockumentary (sic) evidence
that he knows of no person whose testimony he can procure who can testify to
his service. He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or
annuity except at the present and declares that his name is not on the
pension roll of the agency of any state.

(signed) David Coy

Sworn to and subscribed the day and year aforesaid before me, Cyrus
Thompson, Justice of Sessions

I hereby declare my opinion(?) after the interrogation of the matter and
after putting the interrogation prescribed by the War Department that the
abovenamed applicant was a Revolutionary soldier and served as he states,
and I also further certify that the applicant abovenamed (David Coy) cannot
from bodily infirmity attend the court of this county.

Cyrus Thompson
Justice of Sessions

(correction) the word "returned" on the first page on the bottom line was
erased before execution. Cyrus Thompson, Justice of Sessions

This thread: