CRAIG-L Archives

Archiver > CRAIG > 2000-04 > 0955490202

From: "Penny Wilson" <>
Subject: Re: Fw: [CRAIG-L] Thomas Craig on 1840 Carroll County TN census
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:56:42 -0500

Dear Daley Craig and open to everyone,
Thank you for your reply to my query about Thomas Craig on the 1840 Carroll
County TN census. I had thought that PA thru either KY and into TN might
have been the way they migrated but I have nothing solid.to base it on. Also
on the 1840 Carroll County TN census is an Ann Craig, widow of James Craig
Jr.
The only solid information that I have about my gr gr grandfather is on the
1850 Benton County TN census:

Thomas Craig age 44 occupation: Miller
Sarah age 37 (she was an Allen) born NC and also his 2nd wife - married
in 1843 Benton County TN
Martha age 11
M. Elizabeth age 9 - married Thomas A. Watson in Benton County TN in 1863
(my great grandparents)
Angeline age 6
Charlotte age 1
Susan Craig age 21 (she was listed with the last name which leads me to
believe she was a relative instead of a daughter)
Thomas Craig's 1st wife is unknown and Martha and M. Elizabeth are children
from that 1st marriage. M. Elizabeth was born in 1841 and Thomas Craig
remarried in 1843.

Now back to the James Craig II and his widow Ann (she was an Alexander from
Maury County TN) I haven't found anything solid to link this James Craig II
to my Thomas Craig but I keep hoping that by tracing some of the other
Craig's in the counties of Stewart, Humphries, Carroll and Benton County TN
something will come together and give me more information.
Here is what I have found on James Craig II who died Sept. 7, 1828 in
Carroll County:

James Craig Jr.
Revolutionary War - Battle of King's Mountain
Born: abt. 1760 York County PA
Died: Sept. 7, 1828 Carroll County TN
Father: James Craig Sr. died abt. 1802 DAR Mag Vol. 53 apr 1919 lists
families who moved from Washington Co VA to Greene Co NC (now TN), James
Craig Sr.'s family included.
1st wife: Susannah (Susan)
Children
David Hall Craig
William W. Craig
James Craig
John P. Craig
Adam Kerr Craig
Susannah Craig
Nancy Craig
2nd wife: Ann Alexander (widow)
married November 17, 1814 in Maury County TN
James Craig II went from Blount County TN abt. 1805 and went to Williamson
County (now Maury County TN). He went to Limestone County AL in 1818 where
he lived near his son David Hall Craig until 1823 , he then moved to Carroll
County TN where he died in 1828.
I haven't been able to link these Craig's to my Thomas yet and it may turn
out that they are two different sets. I have eleiminated one other set of
Craig's that were in Humphries County TN from 1809 to 1820 when they moved
down into South Alabama in Dallas County.
I would like to find out more about the Robert Craig you told me about and
where I can find more information his Thomas. Again, thank you for your
reply.
Best Regards,
Penny Wilson ( by the way, red hair is in our family)