CREED-L Archives

Archiver > CREED > 1998-02 > 0886477124

From: <>
Subject: CREED Cemeteries
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 22:38:44 EST

Perry writes:
Nyla, can you or anyone give directions to the Creed family cemetary in
Low Gap, Surry Co. NC. I live only about 15 miles from there, but
unfamiliar with it. Thanks. Perry

Perry:

I don't know the location of the Creed Family Cemetery in Low Gap. However,
you may interested in knowing that in 1987, Julia Kodak wrote an article for
the Creed Genealogy Newsletter entitled "In Search of Another Generation". I
have not heard from Julia for many years. Whether she is still doing
genealogy, I don't know. At that time her mailing address was Rt 1, Box 212,
Piney Flats TN 37686.

In Julia's article she mentioned "a lady that Grandma (Lavada Creed Golding)
knew who met us and showed us where the cemetery was located. This lady was a
Lowe...We drove on a narrow dirt road back so far and then walked through some
woods, finally reaching the Creed Family Cemetery at Low Gap, which was at the
top of the hill. Eight graves were surrounded by a barbed wire fence. No
tombstones identify the graves. A boxwood and rocks marked the head, while
the foot was marked by another rock. Grandma knew Hugh B Creed's grave, and
seh knew his wife Melissa (Norman) Creed's grave. Grandma also knew wher her
infant brother Charlie E Creed age 4 1/2 was buried, as well as the grave of
an infant child of one of Grandma's uncles (Mack Vestal Creed). That was all
Grandma could recall about who was buried there. The family cemetery, on the
land where Hugh and Melissa had lived, was where they had raised their family.
Two of their childresn (Ves and Effie) had built homes there and had lived on
the property, too. However, nothing is left standing now. That's the reason
it was so hard for Grandma to find the cemetery. I took pictures so I can
find it again, as I surely want to go back. A creek runs through the
property..."

Someone asked about the CREED Cemetery in Tazewell Co VA. That's the cemetery
where my ancestor Shadrack "Shade" Creed is buried. The Cemetery is located
at the Old Creed Homeplace at Bandy, Tazewell Co VA. Shade was a son of
Bennett Creed who probably died in Russell Co VA. Does anyone happen to know
where Bennett Creed was buried? I suspect he was living at Swords Creek at
the time of his death. Bennett was a son of Matthew Jr, son of Matthew Creed
Sr.

I'm curious if there's anyone on this list besides Diane Day
() and myself who are descendants of Bennett Creed, Matthew
Creed Jr, or Matthew Creed Sr?

Nyla CREED DePauk

This thread: