CREEK-SOUTHEAST-L Archives

Archiver > CREEK-SOUTHEAST > 2007-08 > 1188050483

From: "Amanda Ingram" <>
Subject: Re: [CREEK-SOUTHEAST] CREEK-SOUTHEAST Digest, Vol 2, Issue 164
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:01:23 -0500
References: <mailman.605.1188025409.27133.creek-southeast@rootsweb.com>

Susie, I believe the Neese family was Creek...At least I have come across it
many times while doing research into my family. I don't know about the other
surnames you mentioned. As for Riley, I don't think it will be that hard to
prove your line, as half of the present-day Poarch polpulation is descended
from the McGhee's or Rolin's. Steve Travis is an excellent resource. You
might try contacting him, . He could at least point
you in the right direction.

Amanda

From: <>
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:03 AM
Subject: CREEK-SOUTHEAST Digest, Vol 2, Issue 164

> Today's Topics:
> 1. Re: Building Family Tree ()
> 2. Re: Building Family Tree (Lisa Boone)
> 3. Re: Building Family Tree (nancy carnley)
> 4. neese/melton/wolf (sksenn)
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:30:17 -0400
> From: <>
> Subject: Re: [CREEK-SOUTHEAST] Building Family Tree
> To: <>, <>
> Message-ID:
> <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> George Washington Taylor was the brother of Adah Taylor Hattaway: This
> would be a good place to start researching:
> http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~cmamcrk4/smfm16.html
> John "Jack" Coon aka Jack Richard Rolin / Rollin
> LifeNotes: From Steve Travis: "Coon in Creek Indian means the clan of
> Wotka. Creek Indian families were named after clan name of their mother,
> not their father. The males took thier mother's Clan surname usually
> named after the animals of the forest or after nature, such as: Racoon
> Clan. Beaver Clan, Bear Clan, Fox Clan, Deer Clan,Wind Clan and etc.When
> the Creeks changed their Indian clan names to an English name, sometimes
> it would not sound right so they would use an English surname instead.
> This is why the Indians would have an Indian name and an English name.
> John Coon (Wotka) my gr gr grandfather, seems to be the only Alabama
> Creek Indian in my family that did not have a European derived surname
> from intermarriage of the Creeks with the Traders.He was a full-blood
> Creek Indian as far as my records show."
> Born: 1800 in Alabama Indian Territory; Married: Died: 1861
> Parents:
> Polly Moniac aka Polly Chook / Chuck
> LifeNotes:
> Born: 1806; Married: Died: 1886, Monroe Co., AL.
> Parents: Dixon Moniac and Elizabeth "Betsy" Ehlert / Elliot
> Their children were:
> Margaret "Peggy" Rolin (Coon), born 1856 in Local, Escambia Co, AL.
> Married William L. McGhee. Note: also have her marrying ? Rolin with
> children: Ida Rolin (m. on 19 Nov 1891, Escambia Co., AL to Lee McGhee),
> Henry Rolin (m. Josie McGhee, daughter of Joe Francis McGhee and Polly
> Louise Gibson), Jim Rolin, Darlie Rolin.
> Mary Jane Rolin-Coon, born 1848, Local, Escambia Co., AL. Never married.
> Samuel Rolin (Coon). born Apr 1850 in Escambia Co, AL. Married
> 1st-Dollie Poston. Married 2nd-on 8/12/1883 to Frances "Frankie" Walker,
> daughter of Jay C. Walker and Treacy McGhee.
> Elizabeth "Betsy" Rolin (Coon), born ca 1839. Married 1st- James M.
> Johnson. Their child: Mary Matilda Johnson (b. 15 Nov 1869; m. Elijah
> Franklin Bell who was born Feb 1868 Dale Co., AL and who died 1902, and
> who was son of Jesse Bell and Winiford "Winnie" Bass, in about 1886; d.
> 18 Nov 1950 Pensacola, FL, buried in Johnson Cemetery, Range, AL).
> Married 2nd- Alexander McGhee, son of Jack McGhee and Mariah Hathcock
> (see his McGhee page). Their children were: Robert McGhee, Norman
> McGhee, Samuel Earnest McGhee, Matilda McGhee, Margaret Ella McGhee
> Alexander Rolin-Coon, born 1846, Local, Escambia Co., AL. Married Mary
> Hathcock (b. 1848).
> John Rolin (Coon), born 1844, Local, Escambia Co., AL. See his page.
> Married 1st- Rhoda Posie Taylor, daughter of George Washington Taylor
> and Mary Matilda Colbert. Their children were: John Richard Roland (b.
> 13 Sep 1875 in Escambia Co, AL; m. on 12 Apr 1904 in Monroe Co, AL to
> McGhee page). Their children were: Levia Rolin (Coon) (m. William
> Dewise), Martha Rolin (Coon), William Rolin (Coon), Sally Rolin (Coon),
> Peggy Rolin (Coon), Jennie Rolin (Coon). Dixon Rollin died in the Civil
> War.
> William Rolin (Coon)
> Joseph Rolin (Coon), born ca 1861 in Local, Escambia Co, AL. Married
> Josie Beckum, 21 Mar 1883. Left the area.
> Frances Rolin (Coon), born 1854 in Local, Escambia Co, AL.
> Nancy Rolin (Coon), born 1837.
> Adam Rolin (Coon), born 1860.
> Julia Rolin (Coon), born ca 1867.
> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> [mailto:] On Behalf Of
> Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:41 PM
> Subject: Re: [CREEK-SOUTHEAST] Building Family Tree
> This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
> Author: rileyrolinjr
> Surnames:
> Classification: queries
> Message Board URL:
> http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.special.secreeks/623.1
> .2/mb.ashx
> Message Board Post:
> my name is riley e rolin jr j.c. walker is my gg grandpa
> his son name is fred w. walker his son is fred rolin an his son is riley
> e rolin my daddy. i'm looking for j.c. walker daddys name i'm trying to
> get proof of blood line so me an my borther an sisters can get on the
> rolls.
> Important Note:
> The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you
> would like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link
> above and respond on the board.
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> ------------------------------
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:19:12 -0500
> From: "Lisa Boone" <>
> Subject: Re: [CREEK-SOUTHEAST] Building Family Tree
> To: <>, <>
> Message-ID: <001501c7e672$e98a8ca0$>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
> Pardon what might be an ignorant question:
> Re "getting on the rolls".....It was my understanding that for the Poarch
> band of creek Indians you had to have a living relative that was already
> on
> their roll.
> Ie: having a great grandmother listed as Indian on the census would not do
> it.
> I realize the gentleman may be talking about some other roll. Could
> someone
> confirm my understanding and maybe explain what roll Riley Rolin may be
> referring to.
> Thank,
> Lisa Boone
> --- Original Message -----
> From: <>
> Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 1:40 AM
> Subject: Re: [CREEK-SOUTHEAST] Building Family Tree
>> This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
>> Author: rileyrolinjr
>> Surnames:
>> Classification: queries
>> Message Board URL:
>> http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.special.secreeks/623.1.2/mb.ashx
>> Message Board Post:
>> my name is riley e rolin jr j.c. walker is my gg grandpa
>> his son name is fred w. walker his son is fred rolin an his son is riley
>> e
>> rolin my daddy. i'm looking for j.c. walker daddys name i'm trying to get
>> proof of blood line so me an my borther an sisters can get on the rolls.
>> Important Note:
>> The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you
>> would like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link
>> above and respond on the board.
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> ------------------------------
> To: <>; <>
> Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 12:19 PM
> Subject: Re: [CREEK-SOUTHEAST] Building Family Tree
> > Pardon what might be an ignorant question:
> > Re "getting on the rolls".....It was my understanding that for the
> Poarch
> > band of creek Indians you had to have a living relative that was
> already
> > Lisa Boone
> > --- Original Message -----
> > From: <>
> > To: <>
> > Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 1:40 AM
> > Subject: Re: [CREEK-SOUTHEAST] Building Family Tree
> >> This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
> >>
> >> Author: rileyrolinjr
> >> Surnames:
> >> Classification: queries
> >>
> >> Message Board URL:
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Message Board Post:
> >>
> >> my name is riley e rolin jr j.c. walker is my gg grandpa
> >> his son name is fred w. walker his son is fred rolin an his son is
> riley e
> >> rolin my daddy. i'm looking for j.c. walker daddys name i'm trying to
> get
> >> proof of blood line so me an my borther an sisters can get on the
> rolls.
> >>
> >> Important Note:
> >> The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you
> >> would like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL
> link
> >> above and respond on the board.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> -------------------------------
> >> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> >> with the word 'unsubscribe'
> without
> >> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> > -------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> ------------------------------
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:53:25 -0600
> From: "sksenn" <>
> Subject: [CREEK-SOUTHEAST] neese/melton/wolf
> Message-ID: <006d01c7e688$703216a0$>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> I need help! I am hunting my Indian Roots. I understand that it is Creek.
> I have 3 lines to check but think I have an idea of which one to search.
> The lines are Williamson/Neese/Melton. My mother told me about my
> ggrandmother before she died. She said she applied and received money
> which was used for a proper burial. Her name was Mary Jane Neese. She
> married Seaborn Williamson. Her parents were Wiley and Mary Ann Neese
> Melton. She also said there was another name which she thought was Wolf.
> Any6 help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
> Susie
> ------------------------------
> To contact the CREEK-SOUTHEAST list administrator, send an email to
> .
> To post a message to the CREEK-SOUTHEAST mailing list, send an email to
> .
> __________________________________________________________
> with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body
> of the
> email with no additional text.
> End of CREEK-SOUTHEAST Digest, Vol 2, Issue 164