CREEK-SOUTHEAST-L Archives

Archiver > CREEK-SOUTHEAST > 2007-11 > 1194484523

From: "Jennifer Mieirs" <>
Subject: [CREEK-SOUTHEAST] Tensaw Settlement and Poarch Band families
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 19:15:23 -0600

I am researching my Tensaw settlement family, the Pyburn's, and one of their descendants married Bessie Boone, several of their neighbor's had connections to the Poarch Band families..some mentioned here
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dbreez9913/Secondwebpage1.html

As a Choctaw researcher, I am also researching descendants of Sehoy Marchand, via Sophia McGillvray's daughter Rachel Durant, her Walker children married into my mother's side of the family. Adam Hollinger's wife Mary Juzan was also a sister of my ancestor's first husband. Any one who would like to discuss the Tensaw area or some of these families, especially the Dyer's, Stiggin's or Boone families, please email me.

Bessie Elizabeth Boone was the daughter of James Earle Boone and Martha Lindsay
James Earl was the son of John Jarvis Boone, JR. and Harriet Nancy Poston
John Jarvis Boone Jr was the son of John Jarvis Boone Sr and Deremy Irene Turvin/Tarvin, daughter of Tensaw settler William Turvin and Mary Miller.

I can't find Bessie and her family in any census before she appears with her husband Benjamin Pyburn in 1910, though I have a note they are in the 1885 census for Escambia county, I don't think I found them there, Bessie and Benjmain married in 1904 in Baldwin Co, AL...anyone with Boone family info would be appreciated..

Benjamin was the son of A.W. Pyburn, born ca 1820 in Baldwin Co. AL, he was the son of Jacob Pyburn (3) and Diadema Stapleton.
Jacob (3) was the son of Jacob (2) shown in 1797 in Tensaw, he enlisted in MS volunteer's for war of 1812 and witnessed Joseph Stiggin's will in 1812, his last record is in 1815 when he signed a Petition.
Jacob (2) was the son of Jacob Pyburn and Frances. Jacob arrived in MS territory 1784 and shows up on the Tensaw census in January of 1785. Jacob died by 1787 and Frances his widow shows up in 1787 and 1789. In 1788 Frances had three children baptized in Tensaw, one was listed as illegitimate (Isabelle), and two Benito Benjamin and Mary Pyburn
Jacob and Frances had 4 children
1. Benjamin Pyburn...testified in 1804 with Reuben Dyer, Joseph Stiggins and Richard Coleman for land testimonies, bought land in Escambia County area Florida and disappeared...
2. Jacob Pyburn...never owned land or on taxlists, disappears 1815
3. Mary Pyburn, married Antonio Collins, and lived in Pensacola, Florida, shows up on Spanish census 1820 with her maiden name. Lives in Pensacola until 1850.
4. Phoebe Parobi Pyburn, widow in 1820 census listing her maiden name, Spanish land grant recognized for her husband Jeptha (Jesse? ) Turvin, had one son Richard Turvin, who married an Elizabeth, doesn't show up until 1840, moves to Santa Rosa and shows up in 1850. Unable to trace who Jeptha is, Carol Middleton couldn't connect him to Richard Turvin of the Tensaw settlement, though relationship is likely.

Neighbors of Jacob and Frances Pyburn were, Michael Milton to the South, Reuben Dyer, who's wife was Mary Hollinger, (daughter of Adam Hollinger and Marie Louise Leflore) was to the south of Michael Milton, other neighbor's were Samuel Lyon's, Joseph Stitggins, John Johnson, Sr. and Richard Coleman...as evidenced by the following...

Supporting evidence of the Pyburn family, and documentation of the Tensaw settlement.
Obtained from Volume 1 of the American State Papers, below is listed documentation of Land claims that supports the information on Francis Pyburns neighbors in 1803, it is important to note that most had claims prior to the renewed Spanish grants that occurred 1797 by the Spanish government.[1]

Case no 215 for James Proctor. His land was on Tensaw Lake, east of the Tombigbee River. Richard Coleman and Joseph Stiggins testified, and he was represented by Simon Wilkes, whom the land was signed over to.
Case no. 216 for William Collins, who was represented by William Buford, was bordered on the west by Tensaw Lake. Richard Coleman and Joseph Stiggins testified on his behalf.
Case no. 217 was for John Weekly, his land was bordered on the West by Tensaw Lake, and in the south by Richard Coleman and Simon Wilkes. His land was deeded to him by James Farr. Richard Coleman and Joseph Stiggins testified on his behalf.

Francis (Pyburn) Steeles claim was 640 acres east of the Tombigbee River, bounded on the North by Tensaw Lake, and all other sides by vacant land, the land was claimed by right of Donation in 1803. She was represented by William Buford. Testimony on her behalf was given by Joseph Stiggins and Reuben Dyer. Her case was no. 219, American State Papers, Vol. 1.

Case no. 220 for Joseph Proctor was for land east of the Tombigbee River, and on Lake Tensaw. Joseph Stiggins and Richard Coleman testified for Joseph Proctor who was 21 in 1791.

Case no. 221 was for the heirs of Michael Milton, I have a photo copy of his Spanish land grant, where it mentions his land bordering the Widow Pyburn in the North. His land was east of the Tombigbee River, on Lake Tensaw and ran north. His land also was bordered in the South, per his Spanish land grant by Reuben Dyers claim. Joseph Stiggins and Reuben Dyer testified on the behalf of his heirs.

Case no. 222 was for Reuben Dyer. His land was east of the Tombigbee River, being part of an island in Washington County, and began on the forks of the Tensaw River and Tensaw Lake. Joseph Stiggins and Reuben Dyer were testifiers.

Case no. 223 was for Richard Coleman. His land was also located east of the Tombigbee River on Tensaw Lake. He was represented by Joseph Stiggins. Joseph Stiggins and Benjamin Pyburn testified for this case.

Case No. 224 was for Joseph Stiggins. His land was east of the Tombigbee River, on Colemans or Tensaw Lake. Richard Coleman and Reuben Dyer testified.

Case No. 225 for Samuel Lyons was also on Lake Tensaw. He was represented by Samuel Cockram, who purchased the land from him. Testifiers were Joseph Stiggins, Benjamin Pyburn, and Reuben Dyer.

John Johnson, had land that bordered Pyburn Creek, he was represented by Joseph
Stiggins. It was on the east side of Tensaw Lake, below the mouth of Pyburn Creek.
Another section of the American State Papers lists the following data, his land lay east of the Mobile River, was bordered on the south by Mrs. Steels donation, on the west by Tensaw Lake, and on the North by Joseph Stiggins. His original land grant dated 1788. Three deeds were presented, one in 1796 where John Johnson sold the land to Arthur Rials, a deed from Samuel Lyons also in 1796, and a deed from Arthur Rials to Joseph Stiggins. Reuben Dyer and Benjamin Pyburn testified Johnson occupied the land prior to 1795, and that James Upton or William Hillis cultivated the land in 1795.

Other claims of interest for this area are for families with links to the Pyburns and their neighbors.
Adam Hollinger, (his daughter was the wife of Reuben Dyer), case no. 228 east of the Tombigbee River. He also had what was known as Hollinger Island in the area. John Jacob Abner, and Joseph Bates, Sr. were the testifiers.
Joseph Bates Seniors case no. 229 east of the Tombigbee River, which by original Spanish Land grant was bordered to the north by John Turnbull (of the Choctaw Nation), Testifiers were Nat Christmas, Adam Hollinger, and John Jacob Abner.
Richard Turvins case was no 230. Since I suspect Jeptha Turvin is a relative, it is relevant. His land was east of the Tombigbee, and bordered on one corner, Adam Hollingers, and another Thomas Bates, Jr. John Jacob Abner and Adam Hollinger testified on his behalf.
Samuel Mims, the proprietor of the ill fated Fort Mims, was case no. 230. His plot was east of the Tombigbee River and bordered the Alabama River. William Pierce and John Jacob Abner testified on his behalf.

[1] *** A Plat map and research of the disposition of Francis Steels land may be in order.
Searchable surveys are available online, but they only include original surveys after 1824.
Notes in bold indicate direct neighbors of the Pyburns.

Jennifer Mieirs

My genealogy webpage
http://jenniferhsrn2.homestead.com

This thread: