CRF-L Archives

Archiver > CRF > 2001-01 > 0980003482

From: "chris hurley" <>
Subject: [CRF] Poem:Persons Are Gifts
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:11:22 -0600

Persons Are Gifts

Persons Are Gifts ............................ wrapped !

Some are wrapped beautifully:
they are very attractive when I first see them.
Some come in ordinary wrapping paper.
Others have been mishandled in the mail.
Once in a while there is a special delivery !
Some persons are gifts which are very loosely wrapped, not sealed.
Others are tightly wrapped, practically locked, enigmas really,
almost forbidding.

But the wrapping is not the gift !
It is easy to make this mistake ...
It's very amusing when babies do it.

Sometimes the gift is very easy to open.
Sometimes I need others to help.
Is it because some are afraid ?
Does it hurt to be known truly, honestly ?
Maybe they have been opened before and thrown away, discarded ?
Maybe such a gift isn't for me, too good for me ?
Maybe I'm not ready; I'm not open ? I'm indifferent ?
Maybe I don't recognize the gift, that it is for me ?

I am a person ...
Therefore I am a gift too.
A gift to myself first of all--God gave me to me !

Have I ever really looked inside the wrapping ?
Perhaps I've never accepted the gift that I am?
Could it be that there is something else inside than what I think ?
Could God's gift be anything but good ?
Maybe it needs polishing--to bring out its value, it's natural lustre
!
Maybe it's unique--hasn't found its essential worth ?

And I am a gift to other persons !
Am I willing to be given to others ? A person for others ?
Do others have to be content with the wrappings ?
Never permitted to enjoy the true me ?

Every meeting of persons is an exchange of gifts.
But a gift without a giver is not a gift ..
It is a thing devoid of relationship to giver or receiver.

Friendship is a relationship between persons who see themselves
as they truly are: both gifts of GOD ..
to each other .. for others .. truly related to each other.

A friend is a gift, not just for me, but to others through me.
When I keep my friend--possess him--I destroy his "giftness."
If I save his life for me, I lose it;
If I lose it for others, I save it !

Persons are gifts,
gifts received and gifts given--God's BEST GIFTS on Earth !

Receive and Give the Gift WITH EYES WIDE OPEN and rejoice !

"Have A Beautiful Day"
Connie
*In Beautiful Western Kentucky*

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge
and controversy.
Martin Luther King

This thread: