CRF-L Archives

Archiver > CRF > 2006-08 > 1155983971

From: "Patty Allen" <>
Subject: [CRF] Cultural Tidbits
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 03:39:31 -0700

**************************
**** Cultural Tidbits ****
**************************

COMMUNICATIONS.

FOR THE CHEROKEE PHOENIX

To the people of the Cherokee Nation.

FELLOW CITIZENS:

In about three months hence, you will be called upon by the constitution of
your country, to exercise a privilege of great importance to yourselves, and
to your country. Yes, a privilege which all free people should justly
appreciate, & on the exercise of which depends our future prosperity, under
an enlightened form of government; such as one as we have lately adopted for
our guide.

The welfare of our country should be the order of the day with all who have
the interest of their native land at heart. Our nation, as a political
body, has reached an important crisis, and bids fair for rapid progress in
the path of civilization, the arts and sciences; while at the same time we
can say with no ordinary degree of exultation, that agriculture is gradually
gaining an ascendancy amongst us equalled by no other Indian Tribe. But,
after all, in comparing our past difficulties, the danger which our nation
has escaped, with our present condition, we have many sources of true
regret, which may yet prove detrimental, to our future prosperity. And it
is but just to ourselves and to our country, to endeavor to maintain the
eminence we have attained to. The course to be pursued should now attract
the serious consideration of the people. And may I take the liberty to
suggest the course to be pursued for your consideration? As we have put our
hands to the plough, and as the art of Legislation is little understood by a
majority of this nation, great care should be taken, how we manage our
political engine; lest we should be compelled to renounce forever, all hopes
of ever enjoying the fruits of the promised land.

1st. On the first Monday in next August, will be our general election day,
and on that day, you will have to put into action the prerogative vested in
you, by the constitution, the exercise of which should be carefully and
judiciously handled.

2d. In this duty, in which you will have to select persons to represent your
wishes in the general Council of the nation, be careful that you choose men
of unshaken firmness, good friends to their country, and judicious in all
that may devolve on them to perform,

3d. The Committee should be composed of men of education, and good
knowledge in the affairs of our nation; while the Council should be composed
of full blooded Cherokees, known for love of their country, the land of
their forefathers, and also celebrated for their good natural sense,
justice, and firmness. If then, we be combined by one common interest,
having one object, the preservation of ourselves as a free and sovereign
people, observing strictly our relations with the United States, with whom
alone we are connected by solemn treaties, (with but one exception) and as
long as we remain just, and firm as a nation, we need not dread the
threatning [sic] aspects of the time. By this judicious course in the
regulation of our internal affairs, we may avert the fulfilment [sic] of the
opinion of some, who have ventured to predict, that we will fall from our
present condition, or in other words, that we cannot maintain our political
situation, because, say they, we are overreaching ourselves in adopting an
enlightened form of government. It is true we have made bold strides to
attain to our present elevation,-an elevation no other Indian tribe ever
enjoyed- an elevation, to maintain which, and preserve with dignity and
honour [sic] to our Country, our utmost energy should be employed.
Notwithstanding that we are surrounded with many difficulties of various
kinds, it is a matter of great encouragement, amidst the evils which
threaten our tranquility, we hear now and then a voice, advocating the
claims of justice, humanity, and innocence.

The writer does not wish to be understood as arrogating to himself the right
of dictating, but he claims only the privilege of suggesting to his fellow
citizens, that they may be on the watch tower on the lookout. At the same
time the writer is in hopes that by this feeble effort to call the attention
of the people at large, some other person more able, may be induced to point
our a more efficient course to be pursued. As a citizen, I must beg your
indulgence for these lines, actuated as it is only by the zeal I feel for my
country's welfare.

UTALETAH.

CHEROKEE PHOENIX

Wednesday May 6, 1828