CRISP-L Archives

Archiver > CRISP > 1998-06 > 0898913486

From: ETHEL TAYLOR <>
Subject: Re: [CRISP-L] Susan Crisp and others
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 19:11:26 -0700

Kacy wrote:

> I recently joined this list because I found a Crisp in my line. I have
> found something that confuses me and hope that someone can help clarify things.
>
> On the 1870 East Tennessee Census at the residence of William Crye is Hugh
> Crye (my Great Grandfather), age 22. There is also a George W. Crisp (22)
> and a Susan L. Crisp (24). According to a Crye family newsletter that is in
> it's first stages Hugh Crye married Susan Crisp, daughter of Rice and Sarah
> Crisp.
> On the 1880 East Tennessee Census Hugh is now 35 and his wife Susan *A* is 25.
>
> This leaves me with several questions. How did Hugh age 13 years in a ten
> year period? Is Susan A. a cousin of Susan L.? And could Rice be a
> nickname and his real name be Richard Crisp?
>
> Kacy

Hi Kacy,

It's easy to spot descrepancies (sp?)such as this in older census. I
have found more than a 3 yr span. It depended on whether the person
listed could read and write or the census taker could. Chances are that
both Susans are also the same person.

In some of my families, I have found them ageing from 3 years in 10
years to 15 years in 10 years.

Ethel

This thread: