CROATIA-L Archives

Archiver > CROATIA > 2013-05 > 1369966146

From: Joel Headley <>
Subject: Re: [CROATIA] Citizenship
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 19:09:06 -0700
References: <45D02BC1-3686-43BF-8440-6A9601BC9D6D@aol.com><BLU159-DS24C6CE5F4948125407BFCC1920@phx.gbl><20DAD306-82E9-4CFE-9D5A-E29134381DCC@aol.com><BLU159-DS4742769EC77C2A90E9924C1920@phx.gbl>
In-Reply-To: <BLU159-DS4742769EC77C2A90E9924C1920@phx.gbl>

Theoretically, could I go through this process where my closest relatives
born in Croatia are my great grandparents?
On May 30, 2013 6:59 PM, "John Stefanac" <> wrote:

> Sorry Donna, there was nothing I was able to leverage from family in
> Croatia
> and I do have quite a few relatives there. I was able to do everything
> without their assistance
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [mailto:]
> On
> Behalf Of Donna
> Sent: Friday, 31 May 2013 9:15 AM
> Subject: Re: [CROATIA] Citizenship
> John thank you does having family there help I have second cousins there
> and
> have visited them twice in fact they are the ones that helped me to find
> the
> notation of my grandparents marriage and my mothers baptism record
> Donna
> Sent from my iPhone
> On May 30, 2013, at 5:25 PM, John Stefanac <> wrote:
> > Having relatively recently gone through this process myself I can
> > attest that it isn't straight forward and you will need to be patient.
> > Obviously some proof of your connection to Croatia in terms of ancestry.
> > Both my parents were born there and the genealogy work I've done
> > helped a lot.
> > Birth certificates that have been appropriately certified. This is an
> > Apostille certification, not just a notary certification.
> > Police Record
> > Current citizenship proof
> > What they call a Curriculum vitae but what is really more about why
> > you believe that you are Croatian.
> > All these documents must be translated into Croatian
> > Once submitted, it took about a year. After obtaining your Domovnica
> > (Citizenship) you can then apply for your passport.
> > What was made a little more arduous for me is that I live in Hong Kong
> > and would have to travel to Beijing (3 hour flight) each time. Submit
> > my application for Domovnica, submit my application for passport and
> > then collect passport. They were kind enough to courier to me my
> > Citizenship document.
> > There is another story associated with all of this but basically after
> > I had waited a year after submitting, the Croatian embassy in Beijing
> > called me up to tell me that my application was rejected on the
> > grounds that I was already registered as a Croatian citizen.
> > Apparently my father registered me when he was in Croatia back in the
> > late 1990's. For whatever reason he didn't tell me and he had passed
> > away 5 years ago. Wish I knew that as it would have saved me a lot of
> trouble.
> > John Stefanac
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From:
> > [mailto:] On Behalf Of Donna
> > Sent: Friday, 31 May 2013 6:44 AM
> > To:
> > Subject: [CROATIA] Citizenship
> > Robert
> > How would I be able to have dual citizenship with USA and Croatia I am
> > thinking of applying and not sure if I would have to denounce my USA
> > one Any help
> > Donna
> > Sent from my iPhone
> > -------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> > with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> > quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> > -------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> > with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> > quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message