CROATIA-L Archives

Archiver > CROATIA > 2013-05 > 1369969569

From: John Stefanac <>
Subject: Re: [CROATIA] Citizenship
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 11:06:09 +0800
References: <45D02BC1-3686-43BF-8440-6A9601BC9D6D@aol.com> <BLU159-DS24C6CE5F4948125407BFCC1920@phx.gbl> <20DAD306-82E9-4CFE-9D5A-E29134381DCC@aol.com> <BLU159-DS4742769EC77C2A90E9924C1920@phx.gbl><CAFbjnsAt=Ku51vxaqXSVABW_JbN20vOKS1Xk+ohPyCcew5H1ew@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <CAFbjnsAt=Ku51vxaqXSVABW_JbN20vOKS1Xk+ohPyCcew5H1ew@mail.gmail.com>

Hi Joel,

You do have your ancestry charts so this will certainly help. Matt Tomich, a
mutual Mrkopalj/Sunger relative was able to get his citizenship on the
strength of his Great Grandparents too. We had both applied about the same
time and both received ours about the same time

John

From: [mailto:] On
Behalf Of Joel Headley
Sent: Friday, 31 May 2013 10:09 AM
To: croatia
Subject: Re: [CROATIA] Citizenship

Theoretically, could I go through this process where my closest relatives
born in Croatia are my great grandparents?
On May 30, 2013 6:59 PM, "John Stefanac" <> wrote:

> Sorry Donna, there was nothing I was able to leverage from family in
> Croatia and I do have quite a few relatives there. I was able to do
> everything without their assistance
> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> [mailto:]
> On
> Behalf Of Donna
> Sent: Friday, 31 May 2013 9:15 AM
> Subject: Re: [CROATIA] Citizenship
> John thank you does having family there help I have second cousins
> there and have visited them twice in fact they are the ones that
> helped me to find the notation of my grandparents marriage and my
> mothers baptism record
> Donna
> Sent from my iPhone
> On May 30, 2013, at 5:25 PM, John Stefanac <> wrote:
> > Having relatively recently gone through this process myself I can
> > attest that it isn't straight forward and you will need to be patient.
> > Obviously some proof of your connection to Croatia in terms of ancestry.
> > Both my parents were born there and the genealogy work I've done
> > helped a lot.
> > Birth certificates that have been appropriately certified. This is
> > an Apostille certification, not just a notary certification.
> > Police Record
> > Current citizenship proof
> > What they call a Curriculum vitae but what is really more about why
> > you believe that you are Croatian.
> > All these documents must be translated into Croatian
> > Once submitted, it took about a year. After obtaining your Domovnica
> > (Citizenship) you can then apply for your passport.
> > What was made a little more arduous for me is that I live in Hong
> > Kong and would have to travel to Beijing (3 hour flight) each time.
> > Submit my application for Domovnica, submit my application for
> > passport and then collect passport. They were kind enough to courier
> > to me my Citizenship document.
> > There is another story associated with all of this but basically
> > after I had waited a year after submitting, the Croatian embassy in
> > Beijing called me up to tell me that my application was rejected on
> > the grounds that I was already registered as a Croatian citizen.
> > Apparently my father registered me when he was in Croatia back in
> > the late 1990's. For whatever reason he didn't tell me and he had
> > passed away 5 years ago. Wish I knew that as it would have saved me
> > a lot of
> trouble.
> > John Stefanac
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From:
> > [mailto:] On Behalf Of Donna
> > Sent: Friday, 31 May 2013 6:44 AM
> > To:
> > Subject: [CROATIA] Citizenship
> > Robert
> > How would I be able to have dual citizenship with USA and Croatia I
> > am thinking of applying and not sure if I would have to denounce my
> > USA one Any help
> > quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message

-------------------------------
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
in the subject and the body of the message