CROCKETT-L Archives

Archiver > CROCKETT > 2004-08 > 1093092716

From: "T. Dennis Glazener" <>
Subject: Gillespie - Crockett family ties
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 08:51:56 -0400

I am a descendant of the William Gillespie family of Botetourt County Va circa 1740-80.

William's son John Gillespie was the first of 10 known gun makers in early Buncombe/Henderson county NC circa 1800.

I published a book on this family and have since received family "stories" of one of Davy Crockett's 2 rifles, used at the Alamo, being made by one of the Gillespie families.

The story describes the rifle and the curator at the Alamo confirms ownership of a rifle close to the one described but does not have a story associated with it. The story indicates that one of the Gillespie's was related to Crockett and prior to his departure for Texas gave him a rifle.

In trying to unravel this story the only tie that I can find between John Gillespie and the Crockett's is via John's nephew William Thomas Gillespie b: 10/21/1784 d:9/25/1875 in Richlands, Tazewell Co. VA William married twice, after his first wife's death he married Jane (Jennie) Draper Crockett b: 2/27/1804 and d: 1885 Tazewell Va.

(In addition to the NC Gillespie gun makers I have seen rifles from the eastern KY/TN Western VA area marked Robert Gillespie and have to assume this gun maker is related to my NC Gillespie's. This branch of the family may have been the Gillespie that gave the gun to Crockett or he may have received it from one of the NC Gillespie's in his travels to Buncombe county NC)

This could be the tie mentioned in the story but I am not sure if this Jane Crockett is related to Davy Crockett or not. Would appreciate any information that is available on this person.

Kind regards,
Dennis Glazener
Midlothian, Va

This thread: