CROSBY-L Archives

Archiver > CROSBY > 2007-10 > 1193099438

From: "Bill" <>
Subject: Re: [CROSBY] Crosbey, Joseph
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:30:38 -0400

Here is a partial outline of what I have about Joseph CROSBY & Sarah
Brackett - note there is a lot more if anyone wants information about this
part of the CROSBY family:

Descendants of Joseph Crosby

Generation No. 1

1. ESQUIRE JOSEPH7 CROSBY (SIMON6, THOMAS5, ANTHONY4, THOMAS3, MILES2,
JOHN1) was born August 12, 1639 in Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts, and
died November 26, 1695 in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts. He married (1)
ELEANOR VEASY, daughter of WILLIAM VEASY and ELEANOR TOMPSON. She was born
July 3, 1652 in Braintree, Massachusetts, and died Abt. 1722 in Braintree,
Massachusetts. He married (2) SARAH BRACKETT June 1, 1675 in Braintree,
Norfolk, Massachusetts1, daughter of RICHARD BRACKETT and ALICE BLOWER. She
was born 1647 in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts1, and died Bet. 1689 -
1690 in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts.

Notes for ESQUIRE JOSEPH CROSBY:

"Joseph, b. at Cambridge, Mass., in Feb 1638/39, when a child of about six
years was taken by his Mother to Braintree, Mass., on her second marriage to
Rev. William Tompson, pastor of that town, by whom he was brought up. During
King Phillip's War, 1675-77, he served as a trooper under Capt. Thomas
Prentice and Quartermaster Thomas Swift, and also in the garrison at Canton
(Bodges's "Soldiers in King Phillip's War" pp. 83, 94, 364).

On 30 May 1690 he was admitted a freeman (Records of Mass. Colony, vol. 36,
fol. 104), and during many years he was an active figure in the town affairs
of Braintree, serving on several important committees from the year 1672, on
20 May 1689 was chosen, with Christopher Webb, a representative for the town
at a convention held at Boston to arrange for a provisional government upon
the desposition of Gov. Andros, and was elected Selectman in 1690 and
Constable on 4 Mar. 1694/5 (Records of Braintree, printed volume, pp. 11,
12, 17-19, 22, 24, 25-27, 30).

On 15 Jan. 1666/7, Joseph Crosby, Samuel Bass, Edmund Quincy, George
Belcher, and William Savil for L1900-0-0 bought of the estate of William
Tyng the "Salter Farm" in Braintree, an improved property of several hundred
acres, which they divided by agreement among themselves, Quincy and Belcher
each having an eight interest, and Crosby, Bass, and Savil a quarter
interest each (Suffolk County Deeds, vol 5,fol. 229, and vol. 12 fol. 265).
On 13 June 1686 Joseph Crosby was admitted to full communion in the
Braintree church, and he d. 26 Nov. 1695, aged fifty-six years."

(Source: "Simon Crosby the Emigrant: His English Ancestry, and Some of his
American Descendants" by Eleanor Davis Crosby -- Boston Press of Geo. N.
Ellis Co. 1914)

More About ESQUIRE JOSEPH CROSBY:

Date born 2: February 1638, Cambridge, Massachusetts

More About SARAH BRACKETT:

Date born 2: Abt. 1655, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts

Marriage Notes for JOSEPH CROSBY and SARAH BRACKETT:

Married by Mr. Tyng.

More About JOSEPH CROSBY and SARAH BRACKETT:

Marriage 1: June 1, 1675, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts1

Marriage 2: April 1, 1675

Child of JOSEPH CROSBY and ELEANOR VEASY is:

2. i. EBENEZER8 CROSBY, b. November 17, 1694; d. July 7, 1744, South
Berwick, Maine.

Children of JOSEPH CROSBY and SARAH BRACKETT are:

ii. SARAH8 CROSBY, b. October 29, 1677, Cambridge, Middlesex Co.,
Massachusetts; d. Bef. May 16, 1686.

iii. ANNE CROSBY, b. Bef. February 22, 1679, Braintree, Massachusetts; d.
July 18, 1717; m. JOHN BEAL, September 26, 1710.

More About JOHN BEAL and ANNE CROSBY:

Marriage: September 26, 1710

3. iv. JOSEPH CROSBY, JR, b. December 10, 1681, Braintree, Norfolk,
Massachusetts; d. February 1769, Braintree, Massachusetts.

v. JOSIAH CROSBY, b. May 16, 1683; d. Abt. 1769, Braintree, Massachusetts.

vi. SARAH CROSBY, b. May 16, 1686, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts; d.
1686.

4. vii. SIMON CROSBY, b. January 16, 1689, Braintree, Massachusetts; d. May
18, 1785, Braintree, Massachusetts.

5. viii. THOMAS CROSBY, b. January 16, 1689, Cambridge, Middlesex Co.,
Massachusetts; d. April 13, 1758.

Generation No. 2

2. EBENEZER8 CROSBY (JOSEPH7, SIMON6, THOMAS5, ANTHONY4, THOMAS3, MILES2,
JOHN1) was born November 17, 1694, and died July 7, 1744 in South Berwick,
Maine. He married (1) BATHSHEBA BEALE, daughter of BENJAMIN BEALE and HANNAH
HOLMAN. She was born April 13, 1701, and died July 7, 1774 in South Berwick,
Maine. He married (2) ELIZABETH HORTON.

Child of EBENEZER CROSBY and ELIZABETH HORTON is:

i. EBENEZER9 CROSBY, b. March 28, 1736; m. SUSANNA FISK, Abt. August 25,
1757, Boston, MA.

More About EBENEZER CROSBY and SUSANNA FISK:

Marriage: Abt. August 25, 1757, Boston, MA

3. JOSEPH8 CROSBY, JR (JOSEPH7, SIMON6, THOMAS5, ANTHONY4, THOMAS3, MILES2,
JOHN1) was born December 10, 1681 in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts, and
died February 1769 in Braintree, Massachusetts. He married (1) ABIGAIL ADAMS
December 23, 1726 in Braintree, Massachusetts, daughter of ZACHARIAH ADAMS
and DINAH LORD. She was born 1702 in Boston, Massachusetts, and died July 8,
1732 in Braintree, Massachusetts. He married (2) ANNE BELCHER 1748, daughter
of MOSES BELCHER and ANNE SARSON. She was born May 19, 1718.

Notes for JOSEPH CROSBY, JR:

He was a judge.

More About JOSEPH CROSBY, JR:

Date born 2: 1687

More About JOSEPH CROSBY and ABIGAIL ADAMS:

Marriage 1: December 23, 1726, Braintree, Massachusetts

Marriage 2: December 23, 1726, Braintree, MA

More About JOSEPH CROSBY and ANNE BELCHER:

Marriage: 1748

Children of JOSEPH CROSBY and ABIGAIL ADAMS are:

i. JOSEPH9 CROSBY, b. Abt. 1727; d. June 9, 1749.

ii. ABIGAIL CROSBY, b. February 23, 1731, Braintree, Massachusetts; m. (1)
HENRY TURNER, April 21, 1748; m. (2) SAMUEL BASS, April 20, 1757.

More About HENRY TURNER and ABIGAIL CROSBY:

Marriage: April 21, 1748

More About SAMUEL BASS and ABIGAIL CROSBY:

Marriage: April 20, 1757

Children of JOSEPH CROSBY and ANNE BELCHER are:

iii. SIMON9 CROSBY, b. Bet. 1688 - 1689.

iv. THOMAS CROSBY, b. Bet. 1688 - 1689.

v. MARY CROSBY, b. 1749, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts; d. 1823; m.
PETER BOYLSTON ADAMS, Abt. August 20, 1768, Braintree, Norfolk,
Massachusetts; b. 1738, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts; d. June 2, 1823,
Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts.

More About PETER ADAMS and MARY CROSBY:

Marriage: Abt. August 20, 1768, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts

vi. JOSEPH CROSBY, b. February 9, 1751, Braintree, Massachusetts; d. August
1783, Braintree, Massachusetts; m. BETTY SOPOR, Aft. October 4, 1777; b.
April 6, 1755, Bridgewater, Plymouth, Massachusetts; d. July 26, 1782.

More About JOSEPH CROSBY:

Date born 2: February 9, 1750

More About JOSEPH CROSBY and BETTY SOPOR:

Marriage 1: Aft. October 4, 1777

Marriage 2: Abt. October 4, 1777

vii. EBENEZER CROSBY, b. September 30, 1753, Braintree, Norfolk,
Massachusetts; d. July 16, 1788, New York City, New York; m. CATHERINE
BEDLOE, October 11, 1781, New Windsor, New York; b. May 19, 1757, New York;
d. February 19, 1789.

More About EBENEZER CROSBY and CATHERINE BEDLOE:

Marriage: October 11, 1781, New Windsor, New York

viii. JOSIAH CROSBY, b. 1755; d. Bet. 1756 - 1845.

4. SIMON8 CROSBY (JOSEPH7, SIMON6, THOMAS5, ANTHONY4, THOMAS3, MILES2,
JOHN1) was born January 16, 1689 in Braintree, Massachusetts, and died May
18, 1785 in Braintree, Massachusetts. He married RACHEL KETTLE July 13, 1711
in Charlestown, MA, daughter of NATHANIEL KETTLE and HANNAH KIDDER. She was
born April 10, 1689 in Charlestown, Massachusetts.

More About SIMON CROSBY and RACHEL KETTLE:

Marriage: July 13, 1711, Charlestown, MA

Children of SIMON CROSBY and RACHEL KETTLE are:

i. ANNA9 CROSBY.

ii. ELIZABETH CROSBY, m. JOSEPH WALES, September 19, 1793.

More About JOSEPH WALES and ELIZABETH CROSBY:

Marriage: September 19, 1793

iii. JOSEPH CROSBY.

iv. MATTHEW CROSBY.

v. RACHEL CROSBY.

vi. RICHARD CROSBY.

vii. SARAH CROSBY, m. (1) MOSES MARSH; m. (2) WILLIAM HAYDEN, December 13,
1761.

More About WILLIAM HAYDEN and SARAH CROSBY:

Marriage: December 13, 1761

viii. THOMAS CROSBY.

ix. TIMOTHY CROSBY.

x. MARTHA CROSBY, b. Abt. 1721; d. March 21, 1802, Lunenburg; m. JOHNATHAN
FESSENDEN, June 4, 1747.

More About JOHNATHAN FESSENDEN and MARTHA CROSBY:

Marriage: June 4, 1747

xi. SIMON CROSBY, b. 1726, Braintree, Massachusetts; d. 1796, Bangor, Maine;
m. SARAH SEWALL, February 13, 1750, Georgetown, Maine; b. July 1, 1731,
York, Maine; d. June 10, 1810, Bangor, Maine.

More About SIMON CROSBY and SARAH SEWALL:

Marriage: February 13, 1750, Georgetown, Maine

xii. SAMUEL CROSBY, b. Abt. March 7, 1731; d. February 5, 1806, Quincy,
Massachusetts; m. RACHEL SAVIL, August 28, 1760.

More About SAMUEL CROSBY and RACHEL SAVIL:

Marriage: August 28, 1760

5. THOMAS8 CROSBY (JOSEPH7, SIMON6, THOMAS5, ANTHONY4, THOMAS3, MILES2,
JOHN1) was born January 16, 1689 in Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts,
and died April 13, 1758. He married MARY WORTH November 13, 1718 in
Edgartown, Massachusetts, daughter of JOHN WORTH and MIRIAM GARDNER.

More About THOMAS CROSBY and MARY WORTH:

Marriage: November 13, 1718, Edgartown, Massachusetts

Children of THOMAS CROSBY and MARY WORTH are:

i. JOSIAH9 CROSBY, b. April 20, 1720, Braintree, Massachusetts; m. ABIGAIL
FELCH, December 16, 1741, Cambridge, Massachusetts.

More About JOSIAH CROSBY and ABIGAIL FELCH:

Marriage: December 16, 1741, Cambridge, Massachusetts

ii. JONATHAN CROSBY, b. December 9, 1722, Braintree, Massachusetts; d. 1760;
m. SARAH SKILLING, April 19, 1744, Boston, Massachusetts.

More About JONATHAN CROSBY and SARAH SKILLING:

Marriage: April 19, 1744, Boston, Massachusetts

iii. THOMAS CROSBY, b. September 23, 1725, Braintree, Massachusetts.

iv. JOHN CROSBY, b. January 25, 1728, Braintree, Massachusetts; d. Aft.
1789.

v. DANIEL CROSBY, b. May 18, 1730, Braintree, Massachusetts; d. Aft. 1789.

vi. MIRIAM CROSBY, b. Abt. May 14, 1732, Braintree, Massachusetts.

vii. ELISHA CROSBY, b. Abt. July 28, 1734, Braintree, Massachusetts.

viii. NATHANIEL CROSBY, b. Abt. September 26, 1736, Braintree,
Massachusetts.