CT-RIVER-VALLEY-L Archives

Archiver > CT-RIVER-VALLEY > 2000-03 > 0954201586

From: Shirley Hulett <>
Subject: Re: [CRV] elder john white hartford to hadley
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:59:46 -0800

FYI
Here are my notes re John
Where did you find the name of the ship and the
reference to Cambridge?

Sources:
1. "White Family of Hartford,Conn".....
By: no author listed, 1860 . DAR library has this book
-----------
2. "Memorials of Elder John White" Hartford,Conn.....
by: Allyn S.Kellogg, 1860
-------
3. "Memorials of Elder John White, one of the first settlers of
Hartford,Conn and his descendants" BY: Allyn S.Kellogg, 1860

A DIGEST OF THE EARLY CONNECTICUT PROBATE RECORDS. 1677
to 1687.

Page 171 Name: Elder John White Location: Hartford

Invt. 190-09-00. Taken 23 January, 1683-4, by Nathaniel
Standly, Steven Hosmer, Thomas Bunce. Will dated 17
December, 1683.

I Mr. John White of Hartford do make this my last Will &
Testament:

I give unto my son Nathaniel 30 and my best broad Cloath
Coate, & also give him My iron bound chest in my Chamber,
& my Cobirons in my parlour, & that part of my oxpasture
which lyeth on the Left hand of the way as we go to
Wethersfield, bounded upon the highway, next Henry
Grime's Land North, Mr. Nickolls his Land South, the
South Meadow East.

I give to my son Daniel White 20.

I give to my son Jacob White that part of my ox pasture
in Hartford which lyeth on the right hand of the way
Leading to Wethersfield, bounded East by the highway, by
Jonathan Bygelow his Land south, by Henry Grimes his Land
North, & Lt. Webster's Land West.

I impower my Executor to give to my daughter Hixton
according to his discretion as he shall see her need
calls for.

Whereas I intended to give a parcel of meadow Land in
Great Ponsett to Stephen Taylor, yet now being forced to
pay a great summe of money for the Redemption of his
house & home lott, now see cause to dispose of that Land
for the payment of that debt, and shall leave to my
Executor with the advice of the Overseers to give either
to him or the rest of my daughter Hixton's Children.

I give to my grand child Stephen Taylor things at
Nathaniel White's, at Hadly.

I give to Sarah White, the daughter of my son Nathaniel
White, 5.

I give to Mr. John Whiting, my honoured Pastor, 5 in
silver.

The remainder of my estate shall be divided among my
Grand Children (viz.): Jonathan Gilbert, son of my
daughter Mary, my son Nathaniel's Children, my son John's
Children, my son Daniel's Children, & my daughter Sarah's
Children.

I appoint my son Nathaniel White to be sole Executor, &
Ensign Nathaniel Stanly and Stephen Hosmer to be
Overseers.

John X White sen. Ls.
Witness: Caleb Watson, Mrs. Mary Watson.
Court Record, Page 85--6 March, 1684: Will Proven

Query: to CRV List

<<John X White sen. Ls.>>

I've seen this before -- does the "X" mean he
signed with an "X"? Would a church elder be
illiterate? And I hadn't been aware that he'd returned to
Hartford from Hadley.

Best regards,
Warren Wetmore
Distant nephew of the elder