CTFAIRFI-L Archives

Archiver > CTFAIRFI > 2002-07 > 1025868887

From: "sritch22" <>
Subject: [CTFAIRFI] Theophilus Smith
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 07:34:47 -0400

I have some of the old New Canaan Annuals and I found in one of them this piece about Theophilus.
This is from the "Making of Main St." book by Mary Louise King. 1971.
The article is about "Church Hill" which is now called "God's Acre"

"After he had supervised the building of the present Cong. church (1843), The Rev. Theophilus Smith, the sixth minister, undertook to beautify its setting by planting trees he'd purchased privately. With the help of three male pupils from his private school, on a Sat. in April 1848, he set out 16 smill elms and 2 small maples inside the cemetery walls, None seems to have survived to the present, for no elm grows on "God's Acre" and no maple there is 125 yrs. old."

Maybe this will help Loreen. Sandee from NH

This thread: