CTMIDDLE-L Archives

Archiver > CTMIDDLE > 2006-08 > 1155304401

From: D Hanna <>
Subject: Re: [CTMID] Thirty Mile ISland and Gates
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 06:53:21 -0700 (PDT)

OK...I found... on the website, www.colonialct.uconn.edu some references to Thirty mile Island. The references are in vl. 2, pMay 1665- Nov. 1677.g 97 and other pages.
I see some family names mentioned. but no Gates..this is all about the initial settlement and talks with Saybrook...and nameing it HAddam, etc...
This is info from CT. Colonial Records.....
Deb

D Hanna <> wrote:
Yes...thanks....I found the sites on google.....I just wondered if there was someone taking care of it, etc.and if there was a way to get there easily...and if anyone had written any books about it.... I see that it is now called Haddam Island and there is a state park there....I just found that out.....you are probably right...it has fallen into disrepair. That's too bad.....
Pretty fascinating...I just read too that initially, when the settlers bought the land from natives, the natives kept the island for themselves...but then I have also read that some of the first setlters were buried there.
If my husband and I make it our there, we will be sure to bring our camera and share any photos!
Deb

wrote:
> Can anyone tell me about Thirty Mile Island, in the Ct. River near
> Haddam? I have several generations of Gates's starting with George
> and ending with HAnnah GAtes......and I wonder if they are buried in
> East HAddam or Haddam?

If you put "Thirty Mile Island" into the search engine on my site,
you'll get eight hits including Thirty Mile Island Cemetery CT
Middlesex cemetery UNKNOWN UNKNOWN Haddam NW - (the Unknown entries
are for the GPS coordinates). I'm pretty sure that the cemetery
there was one of the earliest in the area and has probably fallen
into ruin.

Jane Devlin
Lake Orion, MI

DUNHAM - WILCOX - TROTT - KIRK website
Over 3000 data files for CT, MA, RI, NJ, NY & MI
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jdevlin/

You can search the archives for the list at
http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl?list=CTMIDDLE

last 12 months. Largest online collection in the world. Learn more: http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx