CUMBERLAND-L Archives

Archiver > CUMBERLAND > 2001-05 > 0991212922

From: "Dennis Wilson" <>
Subject: [CUL] William Carruthers born Torpenhow England 1814.
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 18:55:49 +1000

Hello, my ancestor, William Carruthers, was born at Torpenhow, Cumberland England in 1814. Married Cicelia Andrews in England in about 1838 and came out to Australia on the Formosa as a free settler arriving 4 July 1840.
His son John came with them on the ship and a second son, Joseph was born in Sydney 21 July 1841 (he was baptised in the Petersham Parish Church of England 15 August 1841).
In 1869 Joseph Carruthers married a Catherine Shepherd (born 2 August 1850 at Kangalula NSW) and they had 11 children, all brought up as Roman Catholics, including Norman Hugh Carruthers my grandfather. He in turn married a Mary Eva McIntosh (also McGregors, McInnes and Nicolsons in the family) and their son (and my father), Kevin Keith Carruthers, was born 25 Sept 1924.
Can you suggest any way to track William's kin in England? No one seems to know much about him. I never knew my grandfather and my father was a very quiet man and did not talk about family much. It makes it a bit difficult.
Thank you for your help.
Frances Wilson (nee Carruthers

This thread: