CUMBERLAND-L Archives

Archiver > CUMBERLAND > 2002-10 > 1033745976

From: "Malcolm Hills" <>
Subject: Re: [CUL] Cumbrian music and some historical musings
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:40:50 +0100

There are lots of Cumberland (and Westmorland) music around, and
instruments, and there are certainly a number of pipe makers based in
Cumberland, making northumbrian and border pipes of various sizes.

As for dances Carlisle Sword Morris and Clog team have at least two
local dances in their repetoire - The Cumberland Long Sword Dance,
and a clog dance From Ulverston (not cumberland I know, but still
local enough)

Incidentally [OT] [RECRUITING] If anybody within driving distance of
Carlisle would like to join us, then we would be very pleased to see
any new faces [/RECRUITING] Just reply to me off-list for further
details

There are also lots of songs, many of the border ballads cover the
northern part of the county with tales of unrequited, and treachorous
deeds and battles. However one of the problems (or advantages) of
living here is being so far away from other conurbations that there
isn't quite a big enough population to sustain a decent folk music
scene.

Malcolm