CUMBERLAND-L Archives

Archiver > CUMBERLAND > 2005-04 > 1114550157

From: "Sarah" <>
Subject: oops Email address wrong for Dr. Shepherd
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:15:57 -0500

Sorry gang, my scanner turned an L into a J and I didn't notice it.
The correct email address is

*************
This request appeared in the Feb 2005 issue of the Cumbria FHS
newsletter. I emailed her the posts we did a few years ago.
If you want to help her, please email her.

************

DID YOUR ANCESTORS EMIGRATE FROM
CUMBERLAND OR WESTMORLAND BEFORE 1914?

I am a Fellow of Wolfson College in the University of Cambridge
conducting a major research project about emigration from
Cumberland and Westmorland before 1914. This follows the study
I published at the end of 2003 under the title "From Hellgill to
Bridge End" investigating economic and social change during the
Victorian years in the Upper Eden Valley and migration within
England and Wales during those years. The logical next step was
to investigate levels of emigration but from a wider area and over a
much longer time-scale. Consequently I am searching for details
of all (clearly impossible, so a better statement would be - as many
as possible!) who left the two counties any time before the 1st World
War. This is not a randomly chosen area of interest. My husband is a
Carlisle man, I spent the first 21 years of my life in Penrith and later
we lived in the Upper Eden Valley where my husband was a GP
before my connection with Wolfson College began in 1985 and we
moved to Cambridge. Both of our families have relatives who
left Cumberland in the early 20th C for a new life in North America.
I would welcome any information fellow members can give.

Dr Margaret E Shepherd, 28 Barton Road, Cambridge, CB3 9LF
e-mail:

This thread: