CUMBERLAND-L Archives

Archiver > CUMBERLAND > 2007-03 > 1175373358

From: "Petra Mitchinson" <>
Subject: Re: [CUMB] UK Census Citations
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 21:35:58 +0100

Hi Kate,

As I have not seen an answer to your question yet, here are some explanations on
census citations:

The following applies to 1851-1901 English/Welsh censuses (more about 1841 later
as it's slightly different).

The usual citation goes: Class number / Piece number / folio number / page
number / schedule number (not always quoted)

1. Class number: This is HO107 for 1841 and 1851, RG9 for 1861, RG10 for 1871
RG11 for 1881, RG12 for 1891, and RG13 for 1901. I think HO is an abbreviation
for Home Office, and RG for Registrar General.

2. Piece number: The census returns for the whole country were divided into
"pieces" i.e. sections, and numbered consecutively. The piece numbers are
usually at the right margin or bottom of each image, and follow the class
number, divided by a slash (e.g. RG11 / 2325).

3. Folio number: In each piece, the sheets were numbered consecutively from 1 to
the end. Each folio consists of two pages, recto and verso, i.e. front and back.
The folio number is the fat number stamped in the top right hand corner of every
second page, and the number refers to the page it is stamped on and the
following page.

4. Page number: In each enumeration book covering an enumeration district, the
pages are numbered from 1 to end. These numbers are smaller than the folio
numbers and usually in the top right hand corner (for odd page numbers) or top
left hand corner (for even page numbers) of each page, except that in 1851 they
are in the middle at the top of each page.

5. Schedule number: In each enumeration district, the households are numbered
consecutively beginning with 1. They are in the leftest column on each page and
identify one individual household.

Each piece contains quite a few enumeration districts, and that means the same
page numbers will be recurring at intervals throughout the piece. The folio
numbers are therefore the best indication of where to look within the piece (if
you have it on microfilm), but the folio covers two pages.

The other way of quoting where in the census a particular family is to be found
is by using the way the country was divided into enumeration districts (but that
won't help you a lot to find the right page on a film):

- The whole country was divided into Superintendent Registrar's Districts - they
were identical with the Registration Districts for civil registration. (Example:
Carlisle)
- Each Superintendent Registrar's District was divided into one or more
subdistricts (in the case of Carlisle, these were Wetheral, St. Mary, St.
Cuthbert, Stanwix and Dalton).
- Each subdistrict was divided into enumeration districts (which were numbered
starting from 1 in each sub-district). Usually each enumeration districts
covered one township or parish (or part of it in the case of large parishes).
- In each enumeration district, the households were consecutively numbered.

The difference in 1841 is that each piece was subdivided into several books,
which were literally the enumerator's books. The folio numbers start again from
1 in each new book (as do the pages). There were no schedule numbers in 1841.

Ancestry has filmed the 1841 census with two pages on each image. The folio
number on the top right hand corner refers to the right hand page on which it is
stamped plus the left hand page of the next image. So if you want to quote the
folio number for the left hand page of the image, it is one less than the folio
number stamped on the right hand page.

I hope I have not confused you completely now!

Petra