CUMMINGS-L Archives

Archiver > CUMMINGS > 2004-06 > 1086809233

From: "Steven Bird" <>
Subject: John Cummings of Jefferson Co., WI, 1850, b. Maine.
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:27:13 -0400

I have some information regarding the family of John Cummings of Jefferson
Co., WI., which was found in the township of Aztalan, WI in the 1850 U.S.
census. John's daughter, Caroline Cummings, married Charles Sheen Greenwood
on 16 Aug 1851 in Aztalan.

The 1850 census record is as follows:

U.S. Federal Census for 1850 (enumerated August 1850)
State of Wisconsin, County of Jefferson
Town of Aztalan, p. 47
Household 722, family 735

John Cummings, age 56 or 58 (?, writing faded and unclear), b. Maine,
occupation "Farmer"
Betsy, age 45, b. Connecticut
Caroline, age 23, b. New York
Nancy, age 20, b. New York
John E., age 15, b. New York
Emma, age 8, b. New York

This would appear to be the complete family, since Bets[e]y would have been
past child bearing age after 1850. Her youngest, Emma, was born when she
was 37. (However, it is likely that there were other children that did not
live to adulthood.)

In the "History of Jefferson County, WI" (1879) it is stated that Caroline
Cummings was born 17 July 1827, in Steuben Co., NY, and that she was the
eldest dau. of John Cummings. A Greenwood family genealogy states that she
was the eldest dau. of John Cummings "of Elmira, NY" (which is near, but not
actually in, Steuben Co., NY). A search of "10,000 Vital Records of Central
New York" has proved fruitless, unfortunately.

Betsey Cummings, John's spouse, died 24 Sep 1875, "age 72 years," and is
buried in the Aztalan-Milford Cemetery in Jefferson Co. She may have been
born in Bridgeport, CT. "Cummings, Betsey" is found in the 1870 census for
"Aztalan & Johnson Creek" living with her daughter, Caroline (age 44) and
son-in-law Charles Greenwood (age 42). Her age is given as 64, in close
agreement with the 1850 census. Both the 1850 and 1870 census yield a birth
date of approximately 1804-5. However, the age on her gravestone appears to
be in error; she would have actually been 70 when she died.

This family is distinct from the John Cummings famiy of Rock Co., WI (the
county just to the west of Jefferson Co.). This "other" John Cummings was
born in Chester, NY on 27 Nov 1808 and m. Sarah Chapin 4 May 1843. They had
two children, Harriet and Charles Edgar. He bought several parcels of land
in Rock Co., which are found on the GLO website.

I have more information that I could share with the list about this
Wisconsin branch of the Cummings family, if there is interest. My immediate
concern, however, is that even with the birth of John Cummings being
identified as in Maine, in 1792 approximately, I cannot establish which
family in Maine might have been his. I noted that the genealogy of Isaac
Cummings, posted to Rootsweb by the ICFA, lists a John Cummings, who was b.
14 Mar 1794, in Sidney, Kennebec, Maine, and died in 1860 in Indiana (the
son of Eleazer Cummings and Anna Ward) who had several sons who fought in
the Civil War. However, John Cummings of Aztalan does not appear to have
several sons of the right age who could have fought in the Civil War,
according to the 1850 census. Likewise, John Cummings, b. 9 Mar 1792, the
son of Asa Cummings and Hannah Peabody, might be the right age, but does not
appear to have been born in Maine.

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Steven Bird, DMA