CUTLIP-L Archives

Archiver > CUTLIP > 2001-01 > 0979701322

Subject: [CUTLIP] Re: Cutlip Family Tree
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:15:22 EST

In a message dated 1/16/2001 1:36:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> Harold, thanks for your help. You gave me a lot of good information. I
> know you are completly right for all the children in Jake Cutlip's
> family. I still have a few questions that you might be able to answer
> for me.
>
> 1. Are you sure Jake's middle inital was D & not M?

Hi Clifford,
According to the cemetery book I am looking at, for the Barker Ridge
Cemetery, Braxton County, WV, Jake D. Cutlip, 1887-1972, and presumably his
wife, M. Agnes Cutlip, 1895-1990, are found.

> 2.Did David's middle inital stand for Peter?

In this same cemetery, David P. Cutlip, 1868-1948, and presumably his
wife, Edna J. Cutlip, 1867-1943, are found. The 1900 Braxton County Census,
Holly Dist., has a Peter Cutlip, age 29, b. April 1871, with wife Edna, born
May 1866, with their oldest child, Jake D., age 13, b. February 1887. I
would put my money on the 1880 census for David P., and his tombstone, for
his correct age and for Edna's correct age.

> 3.Who was David's father & children? I had Thomas Washington Cutlip
> which must be wrong.

I am fairly certain that the parents of David P. were Jacob L. and Dinnah
(Dodrill) Cutlip. There are several ways to look for documentation to this
relationship besides the census records. The death record, 1948, for David
P. should state his parents. His birth record, 1868, should state his
parents. His marriage record, ???, to Edna J., besides his wife's maiden
name, could give a clue to some one of his relatives. Anyway, here is what I
have on the family of Jacob L. and Dinnah:
---------------
Descendants of Jacob L. Cutlip

Generation No. 1

1. JACOB L.2 CUTLIP (UNKNOWN1) was born Abt. 1815, and died June 14, 1871
in Braxton County, WV. He married DINNAH DODRILL Abt. 1849, daughter of JOHN
DODRILL and MARGARET LEWIS.

More About JACOB L. CUTLIP:
Burial: Erbacon Cem., Rt. 40, just past Birch River, Braxton Co., WV.
Census: 1860, Braxton County, WV, age 45

More About DINNAH DODRILL:
Census 1: 1860, Braxton County, WV, age 33, as wife of Jacob Cutlip
Census 2: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 53, as wife of Rubin Hosey

Children of JACOB CUTLIP and DINNAH DODRILL are:
i. MARGARET J.3 CUTLIP, b. Abt. 1851, Braxton County, WV; m. MARCELLUS
WILLIAMS.

More About MARGARET J. CUTLIP:
Census: 1860, Braxton County, WV, age 10, under parents Jacob L. and Diana
Cutlip.
Census2: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 30, married, as Margaret J. Hosey, d/o
Rubin and Dinnah Hosey.

ii. JOHN WILLIAM CUTLIP, b. July 17, 1853, Braxton County, WV; d. April
23, 1941, Tesla, Braxton Co., WV; m. LOUISA ELIZABETH BLEIGH, 1885, Braxton
County, WV.

More About JOHN WILLIAM CUTLIP:
Census 1: 1860, Braxton County, WV, age 8, as John, under Jacob L Cutlip.
Census 2: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 25, as John W., single, listed under
Rubin Hosey (step-father), Holly Dist.
Census 3: 1900, Braxton County, WV, age 52, Holly Dist

More About LOUISA ELIZABETH BLEIGH:
Census: 1900, Braxton County, WV, age 51, as Loisa, wife of John Cutlip, six
children, all six living. Two children missing on 1900 census list.

iii. JACOB DICKASON CUTLIP, b. Abt. 1855; m. ETHETTA C. ???.

More About JACOB DICKASON CUTLIP:
Census: 1860, Braxton County, WV, age 5, as Dickason, under parents Jacob L.
and Diana Cutlip.
Census2: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 24, listed under Hillyard Jackson,
Holly Dist., as J. D. Cutlip.

iv. RACHEL ANN CUTLIP, b. Abt. 1857; m. WILLIAM DILLY.

More About RACHEL ANN CUTLIP:
Census: 1860, Braxton County, WV, age 3, under parents Jacob L. and Diana
Cutlip.
Census2: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 18, as wife of William Dilly, Holly
Dist..

More About WILLIAM DILLY:
Census: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 21, Holly Dist.

v. REBECCA CUTLIP, b. 1860; m. AMERICUS BLEIGH, August 16, 1880, Braxton
County, WV.

More About REBECCA CUTLIP:
Census: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 20, listed under step-father Rubin
Hosey, Holly Dist.

More About AMERICUS BLEIGH:
Census: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 20, listed under mother Barbara Bleigh,
Holly Dist.

vi. MARIAH CUTLIP, b. 1861, Braxton County, WV; m. SAMUEL BLEIGH, August
12, 1879, Braxton County, WV.

More About MARIAH CUTLIP:
Census: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 20, as Mariah Bleigh, listed under
Rubin Hosey (her step-father).

More About SAMUEL BLEIGH:
Census: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 24, listed in household of Rubin Hosey,
Holly Dist.

vii. JAMES A. CUTLIP, b. 1863, Braxton County, WV; d. 1927, Braxton
County, WV; m. EMILY S. ROSE, May 06, 1876, Braxton County, WV.

More About JAMES A. CUTLIP:
Burial: Whytsell Cem., Rt. 40, Braxton County, WV
Census: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 22, Holly Dist.

More About EMILY S. ROSE:
Burial: Whytsell Cem., Rt. 40, Braxton County, WV
Census: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 21, under husband James Cutlip.

viii. MARY CUTLIP, b. 1866.

More About MARY CUTLIP:
Census: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 14, listed under step-father Rubin
Hosey, Holly Dist.

ix. DAVID P. CUTLIP, b. 1868, Braxton County, WV; d. 1948, Braxton
County, WV; m. EDNA J. ???.

More About DAVID P. CUTLIP:
Burial: Barker Ridge Cem., Braxton Co., WV
Census: 1880, Braxton County, WV, age 12, as David Cutlip, listed under
step-father Rubin Hosey, Holly Dist.
Census1: 1900, Braxton County, WV, age 29, as Peter Cutlip, Holly Dist.
Tombstone: Bet. 1868 - 1948, David P. Cutlip

More About EDNA J. ???:
Born2: May 1866, 1900 Braxton County census.
Burial: Barker Ridge Cem., Braxton Co., WV
Census1: 1900, Braxton County, WV, age 34, as wife of Peter Cultip.
Best regards,
Harold

E. H. Bright
P. O. Box 453