CZECH-L Archives

Archiver > CZECH > 2012-05 > 1337817739

From: "Susan Williams" <>
Subject: Re: [CZ] Fwd: Jacob Paliczka and Jacob Palecek of Ricany,Brno-venkov: one and the same?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:02:19 -0400

Rebecca,

I have a suggestion that just might help you. I am reading the records too
and see various names spelled various ways ... and you wonder which is the
correct way. You may never know ... because I think the spelling was
decided by the Deacon or Priest who recorded the entry for baptism or
marriage or death.

For instance, I have see the name Vaclav spelled Vaslav or Vacslav or
Vasclav .... I guess it was spelled the way it sounded.

Anyway, here is my real suggestion. Go to the record you are looking at for
Brno. Then look for some records that have indexes ... it doesn't matter
whether the years pertain to what you are looking for .... but somewhere in
the Index you will find your surname ... see how it spelled .... and if
there are variations.
The indexes are shown in the Praha records as either a star(birth), a circle
(marriage) or a cross (death).

Good luck. Susan