CherokeeGene-L Archives

Archiver > CherokeeGene > 1998-11 > 0910320665

From: "MaryAnn Hanada" <>
Subject: Re: [CherokeeGene-L] Payne Family
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 18:51:05 -0800

Re: PAYNE family

My family is from Tahlequah, OK and the surrounding vicinity in NE Oklahoma.
Many of the Paynes in Starr's "History of the Cherokee Indians" are direct
relatives. William Penn Payne was my g-grandfather, James Madison Payne
was my g-g-grandfather, etc. My Cherokee family lines include the surnames:
PAYNE, NAVE, SUNDAY, HAIR, RILEY, LOONEY. (Both of my parents are 1/4
Cherokee; that's why there are so many Cherokee names.) There is also a
RIDGE thrown in there, but I haven't yet figured out how.

By the way, don't believe everything you read in Starr's book. Example--p.
287, Starr's book, "Sheriffs of Saline District"--Jesse SUNDAY died in 1897,
not 1889--he was my g-g-grandfather. Same page, Dave RIDGE also died in
1897. He was Jesse SUNDAY's half-brother. Jesse was the out-going sheriff
and Dave was the in-coming sheriff. They were both shot to death on the
same night in what came to be called "The Saline Courthouse Massacre". My
g-grandfather, Andy SUNDAY, was 12 years old at the time. He found his
father under a tree, dying from a gunshot wound and the story has been told
countless times in my family, via my grandmother, who was Andy's daughter
(Mary Sunday, p. 585 of Starr's book).

Anyway, the discrepancy in the dates of their deaths is not the only
discrepancy I've found in Starr's book. Also on p. 585, it says that Andy
SUNDAY's father was Nicholas HAIR. But his father was Jesse SUNDAY.
Nicholas HAIR and Lucinda Roberson were Andy's grandparents, not his
parents.

The moral is: Don't take Starr's book as gospel.

Mary Ann Hanada