CherokeeGene-L Archives

Archiver > CherokeeGene > 2002-09 > 1031678911

Subject: [CherokeeGeneCommunity] Re: My Walkers of TN, OK (...also NC, VA, & GA)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:28:31 EDT

Hi Debbie and List,
Here is what I know about my Walkers. I've been told that there might be a
connection to the Walkingstick family, but so far, I haven't found a
connection. Possibly one of my overly enthusiastic researcher relations was
grasping at genealogic straws.

Nathaniel Walker
Sarah Ann Walker

First Generation
Nathaniel Walker, born about 1730 in Wilkes Co., North Carolina (note: Wilkes
Co. wasn't formed until 1777). He died in October 1818/19 at his home in
Toccoa, Habersham Co., Georgia. He was married about 1750 to Elizabeth (Last
Name Unknown). They had at least one child:
1) Elijah Walker, born between 1752-54 in Virginia; died 1854 in , Gilmer
Co., Georgia.

Second Generation
Elijah Walker married about 1778 to Rebecca Carroll. She was born about 1760
in Virginia and died about 1854 in , Gilmer Co., Georgia. They had at least
one child:
1) Wesley "West" Walker, Sr., born between 1778-80 in Morgonton, Burke Co.,
North Carolina; died in 1844 in , Lumpkin Co., Georgia.

Third Generation:
Wesley "West" Walker married about 1802 to Juda Peak, who was born in 1788 in
South Carolina and died between 1857-58 in , Union Co., Georgia. They had at
least eight children:
1) Micajah Walker, born November 1803
2) Memory Walker, born about 1805 in North Carolina
3) William Walker, born about 1809
4) Elizabeth Walker, born about 1811
5) Abner Walker, born September 1813
6) Wesley "West" Walker, Jr., born November 1815 in Buncombe, Cherokee Co.,
North Carolina; died 20 October 1896 in Porter Springs, Lumpkin Co., Georgia
7) Unknown Walker
8) Rebecca Walker, born November 1819

Fourth Generation:
Memory Walker married Martha (Last name unknown)Martha is where the Cherokee
line is said to have entered the family. Martha was born between 1798-1810.
They had at least 5 children:

1)Sarah Ann Walker, my great great grandmother, was born in 1826 in Georgia.
She married William Alexander Bruce in Lumpkin Co., Georgia, and had between
14 and 17 children. She died 26 July 1920 in Roosevelt, Kiowa Co., Oklahoma.
According to what the family "legend", she and her daughter Phoebe lived for
a time on a Cherokee Reservation said to be near Roosevelt, where Sarah died.
At any rate, she did move to Roosevelt from Ducktown, TN after her husband
died. Supposedly, she moved there to be near her Walker relations.

2) Mary Ann Walker, born about 1828 in Georgia

3) Milly Walker, born about 1831 in Georgia

4) James Walker, born 8 October 1834 in Georgia

5) John Walker, born about 1838 in Georgia

This thread: