CherokeeGene-L Archives

Archiver > CherokeeGene > 2005-04 > 1114648409

From: Jerry Cranford <>
Subject: Chief White Horse (Medlin)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:33:29 -0600

Is anyone aware of a leader of the Cherokee with a name of Chief White
Horse and an english name of Medlin? My gg grandmother lived with his
daughter when my gg grandmother was left a widow. She told my gg
grandmother (Cherokee) that Gatsey Medlin was the daughter of Chief
White Horse. Gatsey came from North Carolina and was born 24 Mar
1814. I am guessing but, Chief White Horse would have been born in the
1780's or 1790's. The story goes that Gatsey married a man named Elias
Wright and had 9 children by him then got mad at him when he wanted to
take another wife. She left him and took their children to south
Alabama where she lived out the rest of her life. She seemed to attract
those of Cherokee blood that refused to go to the IT or they just seemed
to congregate around her.

My gg grandmother was called "blind granny" Elizabeth Johnston and was
from the Tallapoosa, Alabama area until her family was forced out. She
was always cagy about where she was born. Somtimes she would say
Georgia or North Carolina but the immediate family knew she was from
Tallapoosa.

I am trying to find this information on Gatsey Medlin for another
researcher.

Any information would be helpful.

Jerry Cranford

This thread: