CherokeeGene-L Archives

Archiver > CherokeeGene > 2011-02 > 1298171348

From: "Forbes, Kathie" <>
Subject: [CherokeeGene] Cherokee remaining in Tennessee
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 22:09:08 -0500

Joyce, I don't know what happened to the land after Susannah died. Richard and Ruth did not move to TI until after their mother's death. Most of their living siblings and their children (and some if not all of Richard's) had moved to IT already. I have not seen any records regarding the disposition of the land. Susannah received a pension from her husband's military service and perhaps without that her daughter could not manage. Tennessee during Reconstruction was probably not the best place to live, especially if one was not 100% white.

This is what I know about Samuel and Susannah's children:
Ruth, b. 1815 married Dickson Price. He died about a year after the marriage and Ruth and her daughter moved home with her parents. Her daughter died young and Ruth moved to IT after Susannah's death

Jane/Jennie, b. 1817 married 1)John Langley. They moved to IT, then California where he died. Jennie moved badk home to Tennessee, married 2)Joseph Collier and they moved to IT where he was killed by desperadoes.

George Washington b. 1820 married Louisa Spriggs. He drove wagons to IT over the Trail, returned to Tennessee and married. Served in the Civil War then moved his family to IT in 1867, was elected a judge in the Cherokee Nation

Thomas Jefferson, b. 1821 (my great grandfather), drove wagons to IT, returned to TN, moved to IT in 1842, married Martha Thompson, served in the Cherokee Mounted Rifles during the Civil War

Richard Taylor, b. 1823, Presbyterian minister in Tennessee married 1)Sarah Day and 2)Sarah Grigsby, moved to IT after the death of his mother; some (if not all) of his children had already moved to IT

Calvin b. 1825 , married 1)Sarah Wilson. Served during the Civil War, returned home, married Arie Hildebrand, a distant cousin, and then moved to IT

Almira, married James Price, moved west date unknown

William b. 1826, died in 1851

Mary Ann (Polly) b. 1830 married William Day, moved to IT for a few years, then returned to Tennessee where they remained; all of her 5 surviving children lived in Tennessee

Robert Calhoun b. 1832 moved to IT , married Clara Rider, was an officer in Cherokee Mounted Rifles, killed in 1864

John Ross, b. 1833, may have gone to California in early 1850's

Samuel, b. 1836 married Sarah Taylor, died in Tennessee in 1874 (before his mother died)

Kathie Parks Forbes