CherokeeGene-L Archives

Archiver > CherokeeGene > 2012-12 > 1354574900

From: Pauline Schwarz <>
Subject: [CherokeeGene] Alli: Arkansas and Missouri Cherokee
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 16:48:20 -0600 (CST)

Hi Alli,

I believe my ancestors (Beavers) who came to Arkansas in 1817 are what you
are talking about.
They did not move on to Oklahoma but remained in Arkansas. Frustrating not
to find any
information on them. GG grandfather born in about 1825 in Ark. according to
1850 census.
Great grandmother was born in Ash Flat, Arkansas 1853, and was according to
family a
Cherokee. She was Nancy Mariah Beavers who married Lewis Thompson (not
believed to be indian.)
He was from Illinois. Her parents were J. W. born in Arkansas (or M.)
Beavers and Phoebe (maiden name unknown)
born in Tennessee. 1850 Census report does not have race marked for anyone
on the page.

Nancy Mariah Beavers Thompson is buried in Spring Creek Cemetery near Calico
Rock, Arkansas.
I have a picture of her gravestone and have visited the grave site.

No way to find anything more. Members of the family have searched for many
years. I just remember my father telling us
we were part Cherokee when we moved to Oklahoma City from Kansas City, MO.
when I was about 8 years old.

Pauline Harris Schwarz

This thread: