CoTipperary-L Archives

Archiver > CoTipperary > 1999-02 > 0917954738

From: Linda Hansen <>
Subject: Ordnance Survey Maps of Ireland
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 06:25:38 -0500

You can buy photocopy reprints of the 1899/1900 one inch scale Ordnance
Survey maps of Ireland from:-

Map Sales,
Ordnance Survey Office,
Phoenix Park,
Dublin 8.
Tel 01 802 5300
Fax 01 820 4156

They cost IP3.90 per photocopy plus postage, and they take credit cards.

The Republic of Ireland (with cross over into some of the northern
counties) is divided up in a grid system with each square being numbered,
giving the map number you need to quote when ordering. This are printed on
a sheet called the "Index to the One Inch Scale Maps" which is available
from the Ordnance Survey.

Current Discovery Series OS maps cost IP4.20 (in Dublin bookshops, January
1999), scale 1:50,000. Again numbered off in a grid system for the whole of
Ireland.

I bought some of the 1899/1900 photocopies recently and they are great for
locating small settlements.

Terry Ryan: thank you for an extremely interesting post on the destruction
of the PRO. Recently, on a trip to Dublin, I bought Tim Pat Coogan's
biography on Michael Collins that you mention. You've made me want to read
it, so I'm off to do just that.

Best regards,
Linda Hansen

Researching ALLISON, BLACKWELL, HOWARD, JOHNSTON, KEAYS, POWELL in Co.
Tipperary

This thread: