CoTipperary-L Archives

Archiver > CoTipperary > 2010-03 > 1268197034

From: Wendy James <>
Subject: [COTIPPERARY] Civil survey of 1654
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 23:57:14 -0500

Hello All:

in 1978, I obtained copies of the Civil Survey of 1654 for the Co
Tipperary published by the stationery Office in 1934 at the
Stationery office in Belfast. I paid the original price of 15
shillings each for two volumes of Tipperary. Even then, this was a
great bargain. I would have bought other Counties, but I was
travelling home by air, and they are heavy.

The Civil Survey consists of /returns of the extent and value of the
forfeited lands. Information was recorded first by the Barony, then
by parish. Land owners are recorded, the description of land and
houses that lay within the boundaries.
The headings of a parish are: Proprietors name in 1640
Denominacon of lands
Number of plantn acres by estimat.
Lands pfitable and ye quantity
Lands unprofitable and ye quantity
Value of the whole & each of ye sd lands

Any requests for a look up must contain the Barony and the parish
name as it was in 1655. I am not familiar enough with the Co. to
make a guess. There is no single index, rather the indexes are for
each barony or territory. Judges were also recorded, again by
Barony and parish.

Wendy James
Toronto.

This thread: