CoTipperary-L Archives

Archiver > CoTipperary > 2010-10 > 1288434694

From: Janet Crawford <>
Subject: Re: [COTIPPERARY] The Stapletons of Drom
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 11:31:34 +0100

Hi Arthur. No, I don't THINK they are the same, but always ready to
change my mind. Killoskane is Killoskehane and the variations of that
are:
KILLOSKEHAN or Killoskaan or Killoskeane or Cell Ó Sceacháin or
Gillisehodian or Killoskeaghane or Cealloscathan or Ceallosenthan
als. Ballyoskehane or Killoskelhane or Kylloskehan or Kilolkahan
Barnane.

The sounds of each [Killoskehane and Killcoskane] are consistently
different and so I have, so far, kept them as different places. I will
now add the spelling Balliskehayne to the Killoskehane group. I still
have much more research to do on who Skehane was and who Coskane was,
and that might solve the problem...or might not.

Pete might be able to add something for this.

I love this deed, thank you, and will play with these placenames a
little later after breakfast. Any time you find one of these, please
do post it. There is never too much information to be had.

The "Kill's" are particularly difficult as they might come from
"Cell", a church, or "choill", a forest or woods. You have to tackle
the person's name, often mangled, attached to it, which can be the
land owner's, a saint's, or the two may be the same person. If it is a
saint's name, then you can pretty well decide it is a Cell place, a
church. If there is no evidence of a saint or a church ever being
there, you MIGHT be safe in deciding it is a woods. Of course, there
might also be the case of a wood owned by a saint whose church is also
nearby, which can cause your head to ache. I always reserve the right
to be wrong. It is always comforting to find evidence of a church and
its saint.

Janet